Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Comb Help

JoyfulGirl

New in Town
Hi ladies!

My grandmother gave me a pair of very cute hair combs in hopes that I will put them to use. However, I have no idea how to wear them much less make them stay in my hair. Every time I've tried pushing them in to hold my hair away from my face, they just slip down and look silly. I have a feeling this is because I have thick hair and no clue what I'm doing. Does anyone have any tips? Thank you!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The only way I have ever been able to get side combs to stay in my thick, heavy hair is the way my mother taught me--rather then sliding the combs downward and into the hair, you reverse them (so that the curved portion is not flat to the head--they will be pointing upward, with the teeth pointed towards the top of your head), and then starting at the base of yor hair, comb them upward about 2-3 inches (almost touching the scalp), and the reverse the direction of the comb, turning it under and towards the head (so that the curved portion is now flat/flush with your head, with the teeth pointing down and the bar at the top.) Does that make any sense?

47b4dd35b3127cceba031dbbca4d0000001610
woty08.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
Hair Combs

I could not find a later hair comb thread so renewing this one.

Does anyone collect or wear these? I found 2 today. One is a huge Spanish Mantilla kind.
Would love to see some worn.

Inky

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
I could not find a later hair comb thread so renewing this one.

Does anyone collect or wear these? I found 2 today. One is a huge Spanish Mantilla kind.
Would love to see some worn.

I wear them all the time, primarily on the right side of my head to hold that hair back. I have some modern black ones, and four that belonged to my great-grandmother during the later years of her life (she lived to be 97).

I have seen some very large combs like the Mantilla one you speak of, especially during trips to Spain in my youth. They are truly beautiful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic