Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hairstyles for long faces

crystalface

One of the Regulars
So I have a really long head. Huge forehead and pointy chin. Somewhere in between heart shaped and oblong... Bleh.
I'm reeeally curious as to what you gals with longer shaped faces do with your hair styles...
I can't make my hair too high in the front otherwise I'll accentuate the long-ness. (obviously lol) But I love doing pomps.... I know theres that section on nocturne about the pomps for different face shapes, but the pics don't work and there isn't any real instruction on creating the styles featured. :(

What are your tricks?

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I have a heart shaped face with a really defined M shaped hairline, so I always keep a fringe, either forward or swept to the side.

I read that heart shaped faces should also wear hair choppy around the jaw to add volume to the narrowest point but I am not sure on what vintage hair-do would do this? Perhaps Sari's scan-ins can tell us both!

I usually have my hair cut choppy all over anyway, as I have a lot of it - so I just get the hairdresser to feather it abit around my face.

I hope this helps a bit!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
My face is long too.

When I wore my hair longer, it was never past shoulder length. Some "fluff" (full curls) on the sides balanced out my face.

I didn't pull back my hair often, except for some side combs. Rolls on the sides of your face also can balance it.:)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
High foreheads run in my family, so I do whatever I can to offset it with volume on the sides and top. The trick with top rolls for a long face is to not have them sitting straight up on the top -- I push mine forward a bit and let it overlap my front hairline a little, rather than having it absolutely vertical.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I too have the same thing, long face, narrow cheekbones with a pointy chin.

My best vintage hairstyles are really curly, either tight curls brushed out which bounce shoulder length hair up to chin level (that all important area for small chins) making nice waves in a 30s style or looser curls for 40s style with sides held back with combs, but the rest down. I can't let my hair get much longer than just past the shoulder or it really drags my face down.

I also do curls rolled up flat to the head rather than rolls on the side with the back down. That works well for me. I can't have a fringe because my hair will not sit down, it's always going off to the side.

Saying this, for everyday I don't follow my own advice and usually it ends up in a ponytail! Argh!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Here they come... They are in German but I think the illustrations will help.It adds what style matches small foreheads, big foreheads and big noses...

50s
Long face, Traingle Form, Square/Round Face:

Cone/Pyramid-Form, small forehead:

Too high or low forehead, big nose

Richtig = Right
Falsch = Wrong

40s

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Miss Sis said:
I too have the same thing, long face, narrow cheekbones with a pointy chin.

My best vintage hairstyles are really curly, either tight curls brushed out which bounce shoulder length hair up to chin level (that all important area for small chins) making nice waves in a 30s style or looser curls for 40s style with sides held back with combs, but the rest down. I can't let my hair get much longer than just past the shoulder or it really drags my face down.

I also do curls rolled up flat to the head rather than rolls on the side with the back down. That works well for me. I can't have a fringe because my hair will not sit down, it's always going off to the side.

Saying this, for everyday I don't follow my own advice and usually it ends up in a ponytail! Argh!

I end up putting my hair in a pony when I do retro styles. >.<
I haven't mastered the curling process quite yet. (I actually think its time to experiment with something other than sponge curlers)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Hi crystalface,

I've tried pincurls but they don't really work on my fine hair. I use setting lotion and small sponge curlers. Leave 'em in all night to get a really good curl for 30s and 40s hairdos.

I don't have vintage hair all the time - too time consuming! So that's why it ends up in a ponytail. I don't really do 50s or it would be appropriate.

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Woohoo!!!

I made a hair roll tonight! :eusa_clap
I decided to go practice a bit, and tada:
9d0e6860aac0.jpg

(The only good photo was at this angle :eusa_doh:)
I was so excited, I ran upstairs and said, "I am so awesome! I have made... A HAIR ROLL." Everyone looked at me kind of blankly.

Jitterbug Doll would be proud. ;) (Thanks again for the tips btw, JBD)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner