Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handkerchiefs and Pocket Squares

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
I prefer a pocket square of at least 16" . an 18" square is ideal.
apart from dinner jackets, which I use a white flat fold,I just use the pick up and stuff method.

Edward

Bartender
Accidentally bought a very small pocket square last weekend. It was in a set with socks which sounds more cheesy than it is. Made from wool and by Burlington the fabric looked rather nice. I couldn't see the size until I unpacked it at home. I will keep it for casual outfits but I was still a little disappointed.

So what is the deal about pocket square sizes? I have read some here prefer real big squares? Does this have to do with vintage authencity or personal choice?

For me it's purely personal choice: anything much smaller than 12" square I find with sits either too deep in the pocket or keeps falling out of it. The 9" squares popular with manufacturers currently, at least in the UK are infuriating. I bought some by accident last year. The one way I have found to make them work is to go for the stuff method, except instea of taking them by the centre of the square, take by one corner and stuff it down, leaving the other three up. I'm very careful now, having made this mistake once: I won't buy squares which don't either give a measurement or are packaged such that I can't see the full size.

ETA: Too large can also be a problem. I've got a few pocket squares which are actually ladies' silk headscarves. Much cheaper to buy these in vintage markets than gentlemen's pocket squares, and often much more interesting prints. Here you just have to be careful of size - I've had one or two that were about 24" square, and by the time you fold that down for a breasy pocket, they can be a bit on the bulky side.

Last edited:

ChrisT

One of the Regulars
What do you think aboute these?
GEDC4439.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Pocket squares are like bow ties in that the slight imperfections incurred when doing it yourself trumps the prepackaged look.

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
I only keep them on hand since I wear contacts and use eye drops - it just makes it easier for me than carrying around a lot of tissues for that purpose. For the nose though, I use tissues for the reasons you mentioned.

I gotta ask...

Not for the squeamish...

Tell me fellas, do you actually use them? Know what I mean? OK, I guess I could see wiping my nose if it was dripping a bit, but when I have a cold or allergies, I really need to blow! And there's some volume in there. I REALLY couldn't imagine putting that back in my pocket.

You?

David

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The pocket squares attached to a card is not for me, then again I much prefer to tie a bow tie than to have a pre-tied elasticated type. Just personal preference that's all. My pocket squares are mostly silk, some are plain but I do like the matching set with either a tie or cravat/ascot.
pocket-cravat.jpg

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with the sentiment that the "casually tucked in your pocket" look beats the "packaged to perfection" look. In this rare case, there might actually be something to the concept of sprezzatura.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo