Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat reblock.

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all,
i need to reblock into a "c-crown" shape my vintage Open Road Stetson.
It's a 50's, i think, hat in size 7 1/4.
My size is 7 1/2, do you think that this job is possible.
How many size can be stretched an hat?

Thanks to all.
Riccardo

Its possible as long as you aren't too attached to the original sweatband. I have done it numerous times without any ill effects---aside from the sweatband. Sometimes you can even save the sweatband but it takes patience. I have stretched a hat from 7 1/4 to 7 5/8 so it is possible to do. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Reblocking

Riccardo,

I don't know whether it's available in Italy, but in the UK it's possible to buy a small aerosol spray of a substance that relaxes leather. It's sold by shoe repairers and retailers and is meant to ease tight shoes. I've used it with success on the (leather) hat bands of a several hats I have stretched on a block. It worked for me!

Alan

riccardo

Practically Family
Alan Eardley said:
Riccardo,

I don't know whether it's available in Italy, but in the UK it's possible to buy a small aerosol spray of a substance that relaxes leather. It's sold by shoe repairers and retailers and is meant to ease tight shoes. I've used it with success on the (leather) hat bands of a several hats I have stretched on a block. It worked for me!

Alan

Hi to all,
my italian hatter said me that to stretch my hat is not very easy...graham said me that is not convenient becouse the shipping charging and the item requested may cost more than a new hat...
Today I've bought the "shoe stretcher" it's a aerosol foam, I put the foam on my sweatband and then I've put on me the hat.
I hope it could help me, I really love this hat.
In this moment my head is my hat block.:) :)
In second time I've to found ,here in Italy, a product like the "scout felt cleaner" or I'll clean it with zippo juice (how someone call it).

I'll accept every other advice.
Best regards.
Riccardo.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
riccardo said:
Hi to all,
my italian hatter said me that to stretch my hat is not very easy...graham said me that is not convenient becouse the shipping charging and the item requested may cost more than a new hat...
Today I've bought the "shoe stretcher" it's a aerosol foam, I put the foam on my sweatband and then I've put on me the hat.
I hope it could help me, I really love this hat.
In this moment my head is my hat block.:) :)
In second time I've to found ,here in Italy, a product like the "scout felt cleaner" or I'll clean it with zippo juice (how someone call it).

I'll accept every other advice.
Best regards.
Riccardo.

Riccardo The human hat block!! To funny.:) :) :) :)

riccardo

Practically Family
EUREKA!!!

It work it work!
I put my Open Road on me....it fit better...very better.
A little of "shoes strechter" an it fits me very well!!
Now I've only to clean it.
Thanks to all for your advice.
Hey Sharpetoys, my hat block work very well :) :) :)
:cheers1:
Best regards to all.
Riccardo.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
The Human Hat Block!!

riccardo said:
It work it work!
I put my Open Road on me....it fit better...very better.
A little of "shoes strechter" an it fits me very well!!
Now I've only to clean it.
Thanks to all for your advice.
Hey Sharpetoys, my hat block work very well :) :) :)
:cheers1:
Best regards to all.
Riccardo.

I can see it now Riccardo will rent himself out as The Human Hat Block. Way to go my friend!! :) :cheers1: :)

riccardo

Practically Family
...second step...

I was in the point to try to clean it, when....my friend Sergio Anzani, an italian hatter from www.cappelleriamelegari.com , posts me his reply.
He can do it, reblock strecht it (without using my head:) :) ) change the sweatband and clean it. He needs 15/30 days to do it, he is very busy.
He do it for only 25 euro +shipping cost.
I'm very happy of this thing.
He clean reblock into c-crown shape and change the sweatband.

I'm very proud to have found an italian prompt hatter:
Sergio Anzani www.cappelleriamelegari.com

I'll post a picture of it, when it return and before the replacement.

Best regards.
Riccardo.
Best regards.

riccardo

Practically Family
Aquia33 said:
I just stretched a Borsalino using one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hat-Stretcher-H...8230387676QQcategoryZ2998QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I sprayed the inside of the band and hat with warm water put in the block & cranked down slowly. Let dry, test fitted hat and repeated the next day. Hat fits perfectly!!

Arron Hats also sells stretchers.

Hi Aquia,
I've tried to stretch my 20 years old Borsalino.
I've sprayed a little of warm water on it ( i remove before the sweatband ) and then...i put it on my hat block...it really work better...tomorrow I'll try to fit it, and then I'll replace the sweat band...after an accurated clean with naphta.
Thanks Aquia.
Here I've found a lot of good advice.
Thanks to all.

p.s.Sharpetoys, I've just a little headache :cheers1: .
Best regards.
Riccardo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183