Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Streeeeeaaatching: New vs. Modern

riccardo

Practically Family
nicolasb said:
"Antique" heated hat stretchers come up fairly regularly on eBay. I've thought of buying one, but they're always in america, and by the time you factor in the price of the item, shipping of something that weighs 15 pounds or more to the UK, VAT, import duty, courier company stinging you for the privilege of having them collect VAT and import duty from you, and the price of a step-down transformer to convert UK mains voltage to US mains voltage, it's getting a bit pricey. :(

Maybe I should buy one from these guys: http://www.blockmaker.com/block.html

But you can bet that's an "if you have to ask the price you know you can't afford it" item. :rage:

These guys also sell a "superior hat stretcher" that, so far as I can tell, is not heated for ?Ǭ£359 :eek: : www.hatblocks.co.uk

However, you could always find a sympathetic hat seller and ask him to stretch it for you. Last time I was in The Hat Centre (18 Stamford Hill, Stoke Newington, London) the owner (Jacob) mentioned that he quite often has customers come in purely to have hats stretched on his - adding (he's very softly spoken, strong jewish accent) "of course, I'm not a professional, so it's at your own risk". (I'd trust him, myself).

Very good and interesting site.
Many thanks, I'll buy an hat stretcher Iwould like the heated one on the first site, I've to ask them the price.
Best regards.
Riccardo.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
I checked with Manny's. The price of the desk top steamer is $155.

When I first read this I thought maybe they were getting rid of the stretchers. I was about to buy all they had. Then I re-read it and realized you were talking about the steamer and not the stretcher. :cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats