Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Truth Or Tinsel Town Myth?

hatflick1

Practically Family
There was a tale circulating some years back that in director Michael Cimino's career swan song, 'Heaven's Gate' which starred Jeff Bridges, the budget for hats alone was a million dollars. If true, he deserves a Fedora Lounge Hall of Fame star. Incidentally, the film has been greatly under-rated and stands as a monument to the Old West, every bit as sprawling and untamed.

I really cannot find information on that specific point but it would not surprise me. The man was nuts about details and had a whole street of props torn down and rebuilt just because the buildings were not spaced right. In that environment, spending $1,000,000 on hats doesn't seem too far off.
The whole picture came in at $44,000,000 in 1980! It bankrupted the studio (they sold out to another studio---MGM I think) when it only made about $4,000,000 in theaters.

Regards to all,

J

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Hatflick, welcome to the Lounge
Although I cannot prove or disprove what you have heard I CAN register serious doubt to the rumor. I have worked with costumers for about 15 years on over 100 films and few have that kind of budgets for the entire costuming, let alone just hats. Two that I were involved with that had alot of hats were "Road to Predition" and "Seabiscuit" ( seabiscuit had one scene with 30K people needing 15K mens hats) and I can tell you that they never approached that number in hats alone. Don't bet the farm on it's truth

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR