Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats are popping up all over.

Matt Deckard said:
My latest issues of British GQ and Esquire UK both have pieces on hats. There is no question that they are back as a fashion item.

Very interesting. What color hats do they feature---red? :rolleyes:
I am glad that they are being mentioned though. Anything is better than obscurity. We could use some people to realize quality when they see it though. Especially those writers. Any chance they would let you contribute a column Matt? :)

Regards to all,

J

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I would like to see a return of hats, but any renaissance of wearing them will most likely be short lived.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Ours is a throw-away society and cheap hats will probably be the fashion.

There will be some who will buy the fur felts because they want something of quality, or they want something that will last, or, just as likely, they want something better than what others are buying and wearing.

I try to have hope that good fedoras will be fashionable again. Certainly cowboy hats are, why not our beloved fedoras?

karol

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Heavens to murgatroyd. I started this thread in '04 and it's more true now than then. In fact, the link to Brooks Brother's hats still works.

It's not just a retro eccentric thing anymore, the cool kids are all wearing hats these days. I just went to a fashion show at Ed Hardy last week and I had m hat in hand being my old school self while I counted a solid 15 hats on a crowd of maybe 60 men in the mix. That's a huge difference from what was on men's heads just a few years ago.

On the retro side... Boardwalk Empire is coming out. Mad Men sent people for stingy brims which skyrocketed in price at vintage expose, and... well we just live in an era where you have more choice when it comes to headwear than ever before in the history of man.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Tons of young people are wearing hats in NYC. They're virtually all cheap straw and cloth stingy-brims purchased on the street for a pittance, but they are hats.

K.D. Lightner said:
Ours is a throw-away society and cheap hats will probably be the fashion.

There will be some who will buy the fur felts because they want something of quality, or they want something that will last, or, just as likely, they want something better than what others are buying and wearing.

I try to have hope that good fedoras will be fashionable again. Certainly cowboy hats are, why not our beloved fedoras?

karol

This was quite prescient. :eusa_clap

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
BORSALINO

You are right. I live in Italy and have visited theborsalino factory..the museum..even spoken with Signora Usuelli..the widow of the last member of the Borsalino family. The family sold out ..and everything has changed ..the quality is gone ..but the prices are astronomical. Does anybody have a vintage Borsalino Panama for sale?? 7 1/8 ?
Something from the 30's through 60's? I can get a new one here...but unless you pay $1,200 for one of their Montecristo's..the rest is low quality. Therefore ..I'd prefer an old one.

Thank you!!!

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Thank you..I know they're not cheap...don't mind paying a bit more ..just to get the quality. By the way..I 'm looking now at your site..and am fascinated with the beautiful suits and shirts that you offer! I never knew that such was still available!! I wish I were closer to California as I'd definitely do business with you!! Can you suggest a couple of Panama makers that I could check? As I say..I live in Italy. Thank you and if you have a mailing list for your shop I'd appreciate being added . kalild@msn.com

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Matt Deckard said:
No... they are still around, just not on the cheep. Keep hunting on Ebay, that would be your best chance.

There are however some great Panama hat makers here on the Lounge that I'm sure do as good or better straws than Borsalino used to do.

Hope to hear from you

Big_e

Practically Family
Except for the odd hat now and then, hats really aren't making a comeback around these parts. On Sundays you see some cheap fedoras and panamas but not on a regular basis. I went shopping today in a nice part of town and even with this heat, people are stubborn about not wearing hats. I was talking with a friend I ran into in the parking lot and his ole' head sweated and shined as he talked in the hot sun while I was comfortable and shaded under my boater. I guess people want to get some sun on their noggins?[huh]
Ernest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24