Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello to group and question(of course)

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Hello ladies and gentelmen. Just registered last night. Great site and tons of good info and pics. While I'm not a regular hat wearer, I'd like to change that with some better fitting hats. I've worn western hats on and off over the years finally "discovered" (after looking at old posts here)that I am likely the proud owner of a long oval cranium. I could never get why a lot of hats hurt my forehead but going to the next size would usually result in a very loose fitting hat. I'm a 7-3/8 Stetson fit(sometimes)but other times it's like I've got a tourniquette on.

Questions; While I like many western style hats, I'm also ready for a business style hat. I love the look of the Homburg but wonder about that curled brim with larger noggins? Can a fella with a large bean pull these off? Does brim width and style come into play witha larger face? With western hat, it doesn't make a huge difference as most of these have a 4" or larger brim. With the Homburgs, Fedoras, and Trilbys, you're dealing with much more facial exposure under the brim of the hat. I have looked over many of the older posts but the place just looks so fun that I had to post and ask some questions. Thanks

varga49

One of the Regulars
Gargantuan Melon

....is what she said about my noggin when my wife and I first met!
7 1/2 to 7 5/8's depending on which vintage hat I wear...You could surely pull it off, no pun intended, wearing the homburg!...Oh By The Way! Welcome to Fedora Lounge...friendly people is all you'll find in here!!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
A wider brim will look better on your face . Try a nice Borsalino Como if you enjoy new hats . You can get one online from a host of dealers out there !!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Homburgs are okay if you are banker, but frankly a fedora with a 2 3/4 inch brim and about a 5 3/4 inch crown is also very dressy and can be worn in more settings than a Homburg. For the money this is your best bet right now. http://www.adventurebilthats.com/

This gentleman can make you a custom one with 100% beaver fur felt that is 10 times the hat any new off the shelf hat will be and it will be cheaper than a new Borsalino. Tell him you are from the fedoralounge and he'll cut you a price break.

Here's a pic of one he made for me.

DSCN0034.jpg

fedoralover

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Thanks a lot guys! Great answers all around. I especially appreicate the link to adventurebilthats. I only live about 80 miles from the Stetson factory outlet in St. Joe Mo.(if it's even still there since Hatco)but their selection was always thin at best. The quality vs. price thing had become very apparent in the last decade or so. I'll definately look into a custom fedora.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I believe Steve charges $225. for his hats if you are a lounge member and $10.00 for shipping. The only thing Steve doesn't do is bound edges on the brims, but other than that he does top notch work. A hat of similar substance would probably be between 4 to 6 hundred dollars in most custom hat shops. BTW, if the bound edge is really important to you, there are other shops that can put one on for you.

On Steve's site you'll notice he specializes in Indy fedora's but you can specify any thing you want. I wanted a black fedora and from the pic you can see it doesn't look like an Indy fedora.

fedoralover

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Hello Mr. Deckard. Great photos and that Homburg looks smashing! That classic business style is always a winner with me. I realize the Homburg bespeaks an earlier time than the 40's style Fedoras but I love the late Elizabethan/early Edwardian styles. Great wardrobe from what I've seen of your posts. Well done young man.

Regards, Todd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats