Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
There are some 7-3/8 hats on ebay right now you can look at. I also say, if you're going to spend $250, then get a custom hat.

I started with an Akubra and some more modern Stetsons. I have sold them all except one modern "straw," Stetson Florentine Milan for $64 plus shipping... and it still took one payment of shipping to return for a better fitting hat.

For the most part, all my hats are vintage or custom. A good vintage hat can still be had for $85 - $150 and is a darn sight better than a modern anything.

I wear hats sized 7-3/8 to 7-1/2 so I get tired of not finding hats that are sized consistently, even within the same manufacturer. I have about 4 vintage hats that fit pretty close to my customs. I have yet to try a modern hat that fits so well.

Tyler35

New in Town
As already mentioned a couple times I would go to ebay and look around. Check out stetson, knox, mallory, biltmore, Disney, dobbs, borsalino, resistol. I'm sure I left some out but this will get you started. And anything with a kitten finish or other mercury process will get you the feel you're wanting.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
The unfortunate thing about some vintage hats is that certain hats with names like Open Road, Stratoliner, and Whippet, for example, can go beserk with a bidding frenzy.

I was thinking I wanted a vintage Stratoliner, too, but man the prices! In that case, I would definitely go with with a custom.

You're going to get lots of opinions here. Some guys love the Akubra hats... some of us, not so much.

Look at the pictures in the thread What Hat Are you Wearing Today? to get some good ideas... and any of the Stratoliner and Open Road threads.

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
If you want the 1930s-1940s style, go with the stratoliner. or the stetson stetsonian. It's $245, either one, and a beautiful hat. Or try searching ebay for 7 3/8 hats. Personally, since I'm also a 7 3/8, hats that are exactly one size larger (7 1/2) fit me better than 7 3/8

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Since you mentioned the Stratoliner earlier, also check out the Stetson Open Road, almost identical styling, but not as in demand as a coveted vintage Stratoliner. Older Open Roads are all over eBay, as are a multitude of look-a-likes.

Also, if you go the eBay route, I would also suggest Resistol. Although primarily known for Western hats, Resistol made some very nice fedoras and are pretty widely available on eBay.

Can't add much to this sage advice from everyone, but if immediate gratification is your goal, go Ebay Vintage. If you can wait in a queue, which is hard to do when you get the bug, custom hatters here on the lounge is a great value.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm new to the site...
I'm ready to purchase my first "nice" fedora...
I'm ready to pay between $150-$250...I'd like something in the brown/tan color family and not at all rigid...very soft that will keep it's shape.
I have been looking at the Stetson Stratoliner...but I'm unsure about it.
I want something in a wide brim like the Stratoliner...I wear a 7 3/8 in most hats and I'm wondering if most fedoras run true to size.
Any suggestions out there?
Thanks!
Let's break this down shall we

$150-$250 ... that gets you from the Akubra range into the Premier Stetson and possibly some customs

"Not at all rigid... very soft that will keep its shape" - to me this rules out Akubra ... granted some are softer than others but chances are you will open the box that traveled from Australia to find a hat as stiff as the box it came in.
if you are willing to wear it for a year and a half before it softens up then by all means hit up Trudi and be prepared to receive a hat that comes down over your eyes when you order your size and wear it for another year before it shrinks

"been looking at a Stetson Stratoliner" - my advice here is to go Premier or above if you go this route ... anything below that is quite costume hat like and not soft at all... the premiers are fine ... pretty soft ... the finish isn't great but it's wearable.
The Excellent quality has a much nicer finish and is probably a hair softer but that also gets you out of your said price range

the whole size thing ... don't get me going on that terrible subject ... you are basically rolling the dice with any hat you buy sight unseen.
I've stood in hat shops trying on hats from a stack by companies like Stetson and Borsalino etc... all marked with my size and all fitting completely differently

I'd say to hit up eBay, Etsy and the like for something like a nice old Open Road which are pretty common but it might take some dedicated searching to nail your size.
7 3/8 is where is starts to get not only expensive in vintage hats but quite a bit more scarce as well... well worth it when you land one in good condition ... there is nothing like a fur felt hat made before the mid to late 1950s ... it's a different animal

Custom is a nice option but the lead time is often grueling and many quality hatters are out of that price range as well .
If you had interest in that route rest assured that everyone here will be offering up their favorite hatter for you to commission... they are all good and will all produce a quality well fitting product made to your specifications

so in conclusion you can either take what was said here and mull it over ... strategically calculate your route and spend your hard earned money as wisely as possible

... or you can just buy the first damn hat that catches your eye ... dig a crease into it and drop it on your head

Personally I recommend the latter

Last edited:
Let's break this down shall we

$150-$250 ... that gets you from the Akubra range into the Premier Stetson and possibly some customs

"Not at all rigid... very soft that will keep its shape" - to me this rules out Akubra ... granted some are softer than others but chances are you will open the box that traveled from Australia to find a hat as stiff as the box it came in.
if you are willing to wear it for a year and a half before it softens up then by all means hit up Trudi and be prepared to receive a hat that comes down over your eyes when you order your size and wear it for another year before it shrinks

"been looking at a Stetson Stratoliner" - my advice here is to go Premier or above if you go this route ... anything below that is quite costume hat like and not soft at all... the premiers are fine ... pretty soft ... the finish isn't great but it's wearable.
The Excellent quality has a much nicer finish and is probably a hair softer but that also gets you out of your said price range

the whole size thing ... don't get me going on that terrible subject ... you are basically rolling the dice with any hat you buy sight unseen.
I've stood in hat shops trying on hats from a stack by companies like Stetson and Borsalino etc... all marked with my size and all fitting completely differently

I'd say to hit up eBay, Etsy and the like for something like a nice old Open Road which are pretty common but it might take some dedicated searching to nail your size.
7 3/8 is where is starts to get not only expensive in vintage hats but quite a bit more scarce as well... well worth it when you land one in good condition ... there is nothing like a fur felt hat made before the mid to late 1950s ... it's a different animal

Custom is a nice option but the lead time is often grueling and many quality hatters are out of that price range as well .
If you had interest in that route rest assured that everyone here will be offering up their favorite hatter for you to commission... they are all good and will all produce a quality well fitting product made to your specifications

so in conclusion you can either take what was said here and mull it over ... strategically calculate your route and spend your hard earned money as wisely as possible

... or you can just buy the first damn hat that catches your eye ... dig a crease into it and drop it on your head

Personally I recommend the latter
+1

@Kentucky Kidd, welcome to The Lounge! This is arguably the best resource for hats on the 'Net, and even though we clearly have differing opinions no one here will ever intentionally steer you wrong.

..."Not at all rigid... very soft that will keep its shape" - to me this rules out Akubra ... granted some are softer than others but chances are you will open the box that traveled from Australia to find a hat as stiff as the box it came in.
if you are willing to wear it for a year and a half before it softens up then by all means hit up Trudi and be prepared to receive a hat that comes down over your eyes when you order your size and wear it for another year before it shrinks...
As much as I like my Akubra hats, I have to agree with much of what you've said here.

First, anyone looking for a "soft" hat will be seriously disappointed. Akubra produces a durable felt designed for the long-run, but it does take quite some time for them to soften up even a little. Handling, shaping, and getting caught in a rainstorm or ten will help, but I've had my "oldest" Akubra for nine years and it's still nowhere near as soft as a custom or vintage felt hat.

Second, yes, sizing at Akubra seems to be more "art" than "science". I currently have six Akubras, three Fed IVs and three Campdrafts. Even though they're all the same size each of them fits just a little different; after reading some of the comments here on The Lounge I'm convinced I've been lucky that they're as close as they are to each other.

Next, a point of clarification. When Moon wrote, "...be prepared to receive a hat that comes down over your eyes when you order your size and wear it for another year before it shrinks...", he's referring to what we here often call the "shrink to fit" quality of Akubra's hats. Akubra knows that the leather they use for their sweatbands shrinks because the wearer's perspiration dehydrates it, so they make their hats with this in mind. So if you ever buy an Akubra, don't be surprised if it's initially at least half-a-size too big--as you wear it, and more specifically sweat in it, it will become more snug and conform to your head (as long as you've ordered the right size for you, that is). Where I disagree is with the amount of time this takes. My Akubras have all "snugged down" to a good fit within the first three to five wearings, which took much less than a year. And in my experience, the more you wear them the better they'll fit.

All of that being said, I'm still an amateur when it comes to hats. The best suggestion I can make is "don't overthink it". Read some of the threads here, look at the photos, make note of hats you like and don't like, do a little research, ask questions, and dive in.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
@Kentucky Kidd, Where I disagree is with the amount of time this takes. My Akubras have all "snugged down" to a good fit within the first three to five wearings, which took much less than a year. And in my experience, the more you wear them the better they'll fit.
Exaggeration for affect ... :)

I like my Akubra hats ... very much ... and I do believe they are the best place for a budding enthusiast to start... but they are probably the most frustrating hat company in existence

Greasehound

New in Town
Howdy there folks, this is my first post! I've been a reader for a while and would like some input from you!

Well, I have a very busy schedule coming soon (Halloween season, 1940s Ball, swing dancing lessons, and many others) and I require an inexpensive hat, preferably something 1940s styled with a snap brim. I was thinking about the Stetson Temple or Chatham, but I'm afraid to get into expensive hats at the moment in fear that I don't look good in hats and fear of it clashing with my normal attire (I don't want to be classified as a hipster! I already have browline glasses!) There is absolutely no stores besides Goorin Brothers (I own 1 trilby type and one flat cap from this company but they don't have many styles) that sells fedora type hats where i live, plenty of Western stores in Colorado that sell cowboy hats though! I wish I could just try on some hats to actually see what looks good on me. Not costume quality ones! I'll cut to the chase now...

I was browsing Amazon and found this Scala Classico. I can only find one picture of a man wearing it in the reviews. If anyone can tell me if it's an okay purchase and if the hat looks authentic, please let me know. The price is attractive and if the hat does look like the man's review, I could possibly wear this normally as opposed for special occasions and not be afraid if something happens to it. Would Grey or Black be good?
https://www.amazon.com/Scala-Classi...ef=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Below is also a picture of me with a Goorin Brother's hat on, it is called The Good Boy. I'm not entirely sure if this style of hat really fits me! It was a gift! Use the suit for some inspiration on recommending me a better hat or style. I know I'm pretty ugly and dumb looking, so don't be mean! The tie is actually from 1956, I bought it ( several others!) from a gent who owned a dry cleaners for 60 years and it was part of his stock never got rid of. The suit is dated to somewhere about the same time, possibly older. The shirt is just some stupid modern fit shirt from Men's Wearhouse, not too keen but it does the job! I'm normally the type of cat to style his hair all nice but some days I don't feel like it, so hats are slowly coming into my equation and I want to make a good choice!

Attachments

• mepinstripeglasses.jpg
    mepinstripeglasses.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

RJR

Understand that only you can decide what look works for you.Many here on the Lounge will tell you to wear the hat,rather than letting it wear you.In other words you have to be comfortable.
What don't you like about the Goorin in your pic?That Scala looks very similar to my eye.

I have a scala woolie, my first hat. It has been relegated to the "bottom of the pile" now that my collection has grown. Not a bad hat, just not as nice as a true fur felt hat. I think the crown height on the Scala Classico is a little skimpy. I would suggest the Hatco Outlet thread for some inspiration. You can get a fairly decent fur felt for the same money. Read, read, read the wealth of information on all parts of the Fedora Lounge. And, of course, welcome to the Fray. Stick around, this is one of the greatest places for the addiction, you should fit right in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner