Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hiding your television etc

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
That's pretty much what I've got in my armoire. Something like this:

Highland+Road+Cherry+TV+Entertainment+Unit.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Smuterella said:
I like that! Unfortunately I have a tiny flat.

Here is what I have to work with, look at the chaos!

2009_12300003.jpg

Well... you can easily clear away some of that clutter by shipping that cabinet off to me here in AZ. That will open up the room marvelously and you will have a neater area for your tv. :D

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paisley said:
I've always regretted getting furnishings that were good enough for now. I'd end up wishing I'd saved my money and gotten something better.

Exactly. Instead of saving some more money and waiting until you find the perfect piece, you grab something you're not happy with just to make do...and then you have to save up again for what you want...which you'll no doubt see shortly after buying the "make do" item. And once you have what you really want, you have to get rid of the first one which is then worth nothing - so there's money down the drain. Been there and done that a few times until I learned to hold out for what you really want.

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
There are several old radios out there that are very large with a lower cabinet space where the actual radio its self is. You could probably find one that has been gutted at a relatively cheap price and voila! you have a tv cabinet.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I checked Ebay UK, and it looks like they're much rarer, bordering on nonexistent, in the UK than here. I suspect that in the post war years, everyone in the USA bought new radios of all sorts, but in the austerity strapped UK, it was much less common.

Edward

Bartender
I know exactly where you're coming from. I wanted to go with antique furniture, but it's just not possible to get what I want, and I can't afford to go woth custom built... or at least, I'd have to live for another decade in squalor to be able to afford it, which I can't bear. One of my, eh.... issues has been that my place is a tip (to the point I'm embarrassed to have folks round anymore), predominantly because I am in deperate need of proper storage (in paticular, as much shelving space as possible!). For practicality's sake, I've had to compromise, and I will once more be headed to Ikea to do my job. Unfortunately they don't have anything in real wood that'll do my job in the current catalogue, though if you are (as I grudgingly am) prepared to live with veneered storage (and to be fair, it is very stable), they do have some pieces that while they aren't exactly forties in style shouldn't stick out too badly in your decor. My brother has a sort of sideboard thingy I'm looking into that has, to my eyes, at least an early fifties sort of a vibe to it, which would hide well a DVD player, (compact) stereo etc. No luck with the TV, though. It's looking likely I'll have to cannibalise something to hide it.... I presume the idea is that a big flatscreen TV is now something of a status symbol, so people still want to show off they have one? Real pain in the bum as far as I'm concerned, as I hate the TV being the focal point of the room at any time other than when it is in use.

If you're less concerned about maximising storage options (this is the root of needing a modular, floor to ceiling system in my place), for most stuff you can find a decent antique piece that will do the job if you hunt enough. For a TV of any size, though..... good luck.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah... I guess it's still only people rich enough not to need to show it who in the main want to hide their TVs! Back to the drawing board for impoverished old me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24