Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hood.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't every household in Sweden required to have a gun---automatic?
I am sure you fellas over there are not immune from crime. Your perception is just different. You have drug abuse, prositution and a host of other things just like everywhere else. The difference is that it is legal and they get permits to do it!
I seem to remember that a fellow here recently got the heck beat out of him by several thugs while simply riding a motorcycle in the country. There is crime it is just a matter of how it is seen. No one is immune from it.
I suppose you could never understand being able to simply own a gun and keep it at home. My guns have never take a single human life. Quite a contrast when you consider how many Hitler, Moussolini, Stalin, Franco and a host of others have in Europe. Unfortunately, none of those citizens had the right to bear arms or it was soon taken away. They just had nothing to fight with and on uneven ground. I often wonder how many Jews could have been saved if they were armed. JPFO (Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership) estimates quite a few.
I suppose we will never see eye to eye because of different life experiences and such.
This thread has really gone in many directions but that is one of those properties of a face to face discussion as well. :p

Regards to all,

J

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It's Switzerland I think James- semi-auto I would guess.
They have a territorial/civil militia thing of some kind.
Not Sweden.

It's just the gun issue I'm on about really- something I feel strongly about.
Too many guns. Guns and crime. Criminals needing guns- armed civilians-
Seems like a civil arms race.
I know you have a long established gun culture over there and it's perfectly normal there- you're right in saying that it can seem very strange to someone from abroad. I used to keep guns at home in NZ- you still can but you need various different firearms license endorsements for different guns- pistols and full-auto obviously being the extreme.
Of course were not immune to crime but murder/homicide statistics are very low in comparison to the US, that kind of thing. People make the point of less guns= less gun crime and gun killings and it makes clear sense.
But you're right, although we have so much in common and speak the same language, we've grown up with very different experiences and opinions and justifications for them.

Hey James, ever had a Hood go up on you before?

Enjoy your Saturday evening-

B
T

That's it is is Switzerland. I got my S countries mixed up. :p
You would think that the crime statistics would bear you out but your assault, burglaries, car thefts and even total crimes per capita far out strip that of the USA. Perhaps it is a matter of perception or some such thing. Check it out at nationmaster.com if you don't believe me.
On to hoods, yes, I have had the hood of my 57 Chevy fly up on me once---once. After that I replaced the hood latch system and never had a problem with it again even at 125 mph. :p
The hood flew up but didn't hurt anything fortunately. I could see out of the space between the hood and the cowl. I pulled it over, tied down the hood really tight and them just jumped in and kept going. :jeep:

Regards to all,

J

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
But surely with that reasoning- people who don't own spoons are less likely to get fat-

James- I'll take your word on the stats- raw statistics can be and are surprising- but I think there are other demographic factors such as urban vs. rural population, reported vs. unreported crime, and probably many others which have a great influence.
But yes it is surprising. I'm sure folks on both sides of the sea would be surprised and shocked.
Did you see South Africa's stats!?

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda