Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

House of Leaves

Nikx

New in Town
I am not an avid reader, in fact it might be safe to say that I'm not a reader at all when it comes to books. This was the first book (and I fear the last) that as soon as I picked it up I couldn't put it down.

The book is House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It's a book about a man who finds and reads a book about a movie written by a blind man.

There are so many layers and puzzles, I was warned that this was a difficult book to read and that since I'm not used to reading books, I shouldn't. I'm glad I didn't take the advise.

Maybe it's because I'm a scientist...I just found it's complexity, puzzles, and overall weirdness captivating. It is written in a non-standard format, which is to say sometimes the words scramble every which way over the pages. When a charactor is running there's only a few words per page, so you really feel like you're running too. When a character is tumbling and falling through space, you have to turn the book every which way to follow the text.

So take it from someone who barely reads anything not on a screen, get this book! :p

davidraphael

Practically Family
Yeah, this book is incredible - it should be on everyone's bookshelves. It's a totally unique concept and there are various versions of it, depending on the print run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran