Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Repair a Torn Leather Shoe?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I just bought a lovely pair of red 1930s shoes last night. The only problem is that one shoe has a tear in the leather on the side. I know this cannot be repaired to look like new, but I'd like to repair it and wear it anyway. Any suggestions?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I don't have a digital camera, so let me describe the tear. It's where the little toe hits, and it's about 1" long. It goes from the sole up to the top of the shoe. It's a straight line.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Paisley said:
It's where the little toe hits.
I have a pair of suede shoes that were wearing thin in the same area. My cobbler glued a small patch made of thin leather on the corresponding spot inside of the shoe to hinder further damage. Worked like a charm.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
I have a pair of suede shoes that were wearing thin in the same area. My cobbler glued a small patch made of thin leather on the corresponding spot inside of the shoe to hinder further damage. Worked like a charm.

Exactly what I would have suggested - except I would have gone into a long-winded explanation of how to do to it, whereas taking the shoe to the cobbler is ever so much simpler.

Warbaby

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Some of the vintage and antique store people are good with gluing. I do know there are some glues made specifically for leather to glue lifted sections back in place.

Barge Cement is considered the best by many cobblers and leather workers. I've used it for many years and nothing glued with it has ever come apart.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I took the shoe to the cobbler and he asked if I thought if it was worth $10 to repair it. The leather had some slight cracking in it; nothing that can't be hidden with shoe polish. Apparently he's not a lover of vintage shoes.

59Lark

Practically Family
shoe makker

The forgotten shoemaker, long ago I shared a old store with a shoemaker, or he was dutch so he called it shoemakker, and i would help him when i was slow and he was crazy, finally I figured out the glue he was used for the soles was lethal stuff and with no ventalation. So for a while I had the experience of grind off old soles, running a mackay solestitcher, and polishing shoes, so I would say $10. is fine for fixing vintage shoes, in my youth, i was offered the following trades, tv repair, watch and clock repair and shoe repair and sewing machine repair which is the trade that i chose. Enjoy your shoes. 59Lark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou