Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to style my hair 1940-50s?

G

Gabriel

Hey there,

So to just get this out of the way, I will preface this by stating that I have NO idea on how to style my hair whatsoever. So long as I've been alive, I've always bathed, shaved, and gotten my haircuts every month and cut my hair short. That's as far as my "class" has ever really gone.

Well today I went and looked at my hair and it's been around a month or two and it's starting to look "puffy" again. I was debating on cutting it but I decided to stop off in here to see if anyone could point me in the right direction to start properly styling my hair? I don't really mind ordering products or anything, I just don't want to have to spend a fortune lol.

Note: For some reason, it also seems whenever my hair grows out for 1-2 months my hair gets dry very quickly and if I don't shower EVERY DAY constantly (which I have no problem doing xD) my hair starts to develop dry skin... *COUGH*-DANDRUFF-*COUGH*

So if someone could point me to some products that won't react bad for my desired hairstyle that would be terrific!

--> Here is the video I saw that I would have interested in replicating to my own hair.

[video=youtube;yD-nu3NFn3s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD-nu3NFn3s[/video]

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Products you can consider are Dax Wave & Groom, Royal Crown Pomade, Groom & Clean, and Brylcreem, as well as a variety of others, although I cannot speak for anything other than the ones I've had experience with. In order, I would rank them from the most hold to the least, the stickiest, most wax-like, to the most creamy. Of all of these, Groom & Clean is the easiest to wash out of your hair, and using it even helps to remove the other, harder to remove pomades or creams. All of these are cheap, too, but I only had experience in ordering them from Amazon or eBay.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
It depends if you are willing to use hair products daily. I use Brylcreem and Royal Crown Hairdressing daily, after showering. I always use the Brylcreem first, because if I use it after, it always seems to make the Royal Crown weaker. However, I only use soap in my hair every Sunday. Doing so, I build up layers of hair product. However, you may not like this, because it often comes out in the comb.

G

Gabriel

Wow, thanks for the great tips!

Lastly might I ask, where can I find the equipment this guy is using in the video? I'd honestly have no idea where to start. :/

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
If you want to get the period look, make sure the product has a good greasy look. I know not everyone likes that greasy, sticky look/feel, but i prefer it.

The last time i had my hair cut the barber used a new product. It looked great, was strong and held the hair in place really well. But the next day the hair felt really dry. Unlike my normal product (Black & Whites) it didn't have a feeling that the hair could fall out of place then be pushed back.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Of course the haircut itself it important too not just the products. Try to grow it longer on top and short back and sides. Depending how "vintage looking" you want it the top can be really rather long and the fade to the back and sides quite severe. I use black and white because it works with my thick hair and keeps it manageable. Very strong pomade doesn't work for me but it depends on your hair type. All this and more in the haircuts thread. Just read it.

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
For styling, I recently took a gamble that paid off immensely. I had located an antique bottle of Rawleigh's Brilliantine and lo and behold, it still works! The bottle was full, looked like it had been used once or twice at the most, and is in good overall condition. Lucky me!
brilliantine.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24