Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Humidors

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Could one keep pipe tobacco in a humidor? Would there be a point to that?

I have a brand new humidor and I'm apparantly not a 'cigar guy', but I might be a pipe guy. Not sure yet.

Never mix never worry.

A cigar humidor would probably work well for pipe tobacco but if you have the "flavored" type tobacco you should not put it in with cigars. The flavor aroma will spread to the cigars. Also could taint the humidor itself. Most friends seem to have a jar or crock for each type of pipe tobacco.

If you are not up on cigars but want to try them, start with mild cigars like Macanudos.

My friends with pipes tend to go with non flavored ones, I think they said English blends.

Feraud

Bartender
Putting pipe tobacco in a humidor would serve the same purpose as putting cigars in 'em. To keep the tobacco from drying out. I say go for it.

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
Yes you can, the only drawback is the pipe tobacco will permeate into the cedar walls. If you ever decide to use the humidor for cigars, everything will take on the taste of your tobacco. They do make tobacco humidors for pipe tobacco. Honestly what works for me (we use these at the store too) mason jars or glass jars with a plastic/rubber seal at the top will keep it fresh for a good while. If you dont' go through it that often, you can drop in a button humidifier with some distilled water.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
CigarMan said:
Yes you can, the only drawback is the pipe tobacco will permeate into the cedar walls. If you ever decide to use the humidor for cigars, everything will take on the taste of your tobacco. They do make tobacco humidors for pipe tobacco. Honestly what works for me (we use these at the store too) mason jars or glass jars with a plastic/rubber seal at the top will keep it fresh for a good while. If you dont' go through it that often, you can drop in a button humidifier with some distilled water.

Agreed, works a treat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats