Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a new suit, and some help…

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I’m in need of a suit for an upcoming awards party in about a month. I have no suits that fit.

I’m a new dad, with a new dad-bod and my current closet isn’t cooperating.

I’d like something with a high waist, high crotch, and high armscye, for ease of movement. You know how Bertie Wooster can hop a garden wall, or the back of a chair, then jump into a reclining position on a couch while wearing a three piece or a nice tweed traveling suit? I want that.

This is for a party, and I have lots of leeway in the formality level, so I’m looking for something fun, celebratory, and sartorial.

I tend to run warm, so I’m think a summer weight wool, or wool/linen blend would be ideal? Maybe a partially lined jacket, a vest with a lighter weight back panel…

My usual style is much more informed by turn of the century work and athletic wear. I’m pretty confident in my choices, and I’ve successfully worn vintage breeches and jodhpurs on separate occasions out to bars or dinner. Being in New York and around artists let’s me have a wider leeway than most 45 year old dads!

So I'm looking for some inspiration, some information, and possibly a location or two to find some fun and "formal" cocktail wear.

I've added a graphic comparing a regular sleeve to a "musicians armscye" cut, which gives much freer movement.

Attachments

• 75E5E8E5-9AF2-424B-9621-0E3DD1BA6706.png
    75E5E8E5-9AF2-424B-9621-0E3DD1BA6706.png
    714.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Yamahana

One Too Many
https://www.facebook.com/share/vK7FcoDgC3TL1Apu/?mibextid=WC7FNe

Phamtailor on FB makes custom top notch bespoke suits at very reasonable pricing. I’m in the process of ordering a summer linen suit in 1930’s Palm Beach styling for around $400.

If you want true vintage Benny Reese on Etsy Reesesvintagepieces has dozens if not a hundred vintage suits. He only lists a few so you need to contact him for what he may have in your size, but it won’t be cheap. If you want his number message me.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I’d really like to keep the suit cost to around $500.00 or there abouts, a 400 dollar tailored piece would be amazingly below budget!

There was a place I went to in Chicago, Richards Fabulous Finds, where I picked up some great tweed separates to wear for my wedding. I’m just not familiar enough with NYC yet to find the “awesome mens place with all the deals” yet!

Phamtailor looks great from a quick scroll down his page. Is this your first suit from them? He's familiar with the sort of armskye and inset sleeve used by conductors or dancers? Lol, I'll just ask!

Thank you so much!

Any of you other folks have ideas, keep'm coming!

Yamahana

One Too Many
I’d really like to keep the suit cost to around $500.00 or there abouts, a 400 dollar tailored piece would be amazingly below budget!

There was a place I went to in Chicago, Richards Fabulous Finds, where I picked up some great tweed separates to wear for my wedding. I’m just not familiar enough with NYC yet to find the “awesome mens place with all the deals” yet!

Phamtailor looks great from a quick scroll down his page. Is this your first suit from them? He's familiar with the sort of armskye and inset sleeve used by conductors or dancers? Lol, I'll just ask!

Thank you so much!

Any of you other folks have ideas, keep'm coming!
It’s my 1st from Phamtailor. Going with a 30’s inspired Palm Beach linen for summer.
IMG_9246.jpeg
IMG_9250.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner