Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ingredients and recipe for HOT BUTTERED RUM?

Naphtali

Practically Family
I'm not a drinker. In Northwest Passage, by Kenneth Roberts, Major Rogers doses one of his Indian scouts with hot buttered rum. What is it? How would I make it?

Imahomer

Practically Family
It's probably not made by too many people anymore. I know my dad knew how to make it and would whip some up around Xmas. Now days you can go to the supermarket, or liquor barn, or any place like that and pick up the premade batter. Then you just add rum and either hot water, or hot milk. It's pretty good, but different from what I remember.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Imahomer said:
It's probably not made by too many people anymore. I know my dad knew how to make it and would whip some up around Xmas. Now days you can go to the supermarket, or liquor barn, or any place like that and pick up the premade batter. Then you just add rum and either hot water, or hot milk. It's pretty good, but different from what I remember.
Buying premade I want to avoid. I want complete responsibility. Mr. Roberts made the beverage inviting, cozy, comfortable, tasty. Like the bank robber said to Harry Calahan, "I gots to know."

Imahomer

Practically Family
I guess the easiest way would be to grab a pencil and paper and go to a bar. I'd think pretty much any bartender would know how to make one.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Imahomer said:
I guess the easiest way would be to grab a pencil and paper and go to a bar. I'd think pretty much any bartender would know how to make one.
I suspect our lounges offer domestic beer in bottles, Jack Daniels, and house wine. Missoula is the closest place with bars that might meet your specification.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
We just had some at a party last week, it was great! We couldn't get enough, and are planning on making it on Christmas day. What our friend made was a Crock Pot version, it's really easy:

Crockpot Hot Buttered Rum

Ingredients:
Brown Sugar 2 cups firmly packed
1/2 Cup Butter
1 Tsp Salt
3 Sticks Cinnamon
6 Whole Cloves
1/2 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
2 Cups Rum
heavy cream -- whipped
ground nutmeg -- for topping
Directions:

Combine all ingredients except rum, nutmeg and cream in the pot. Add 2 quarts hot water. Stir well. Cook covered pot on low for five hours. Add rum stir to blend. Serve from pot in mugs topped with whipped cream and a dusting of nutmeg.

Serves: 15

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I make it a lot, but by the single mug...

3 tsp dark brown sugar (or to taste)
cinnamon to taste
dash nutmeg, allspice, cloves
approx 3 tsp butter

I heat that in the microwave and make a paste. Then add:

1 1/2 - 2 shots rum (currently using Flor de Cana, but dark rum is also good, as is spiced rum like Captains)

Top with hot water.

Of course you'll have to adjust the recipe to taste. I like mine very buttery

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My recipe is very simple. A teaspoon of sugar (brown if you want to get fancy) a good sized pat of butter, boiling water and a shot or two of rum, then the nutmeg on top. The whole idea is that you've just come in from being out in the extreme cold for a good long time, and your face feels like ice. The hot water re hydrates you quickly, and it carries the rum to your body and knocks you out with wondrous quickness. And the butter coats your chapped lips. You really appreciate it twice as much if you drink it after coming in from winter sports.

Haversack

One Too Many
dherrmann1 has it right. Hot Buttered Rum is simplicity itself.

In a mug I put 1+ spoons of muscavado sugar, (darker than dark brown), and about a teaspoon+ of butter. (I may also slightly dampen the sugar with small amount of rum to aid dissolving.) I then add enough boiling water to fill the mug less the amount of rum I wish to add. Once the butter has melted and covered the surface, I add as much rum as the occasion/drinker calls for. Fresh grated nutmeg is then sprinkled on top and it is served forth.

There is a very important reason for adding the rum after the butter has melted. It seals the drink and helps prevent the alcohol in the rum from evaporating.

Hot Buttered Rum, or Hot Pernicious as it is known in our house, is one of a body of hot drinks for cold climates which involve drinking fat. Compare the Tibetan practice of taking hot tea with melted yak butter. Mainlining calories is a way to feel instantly warmer.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
How about posset?

Aha! So one effect of sprinkling the spices on the top is that it forms a thin layer of oil on the surface, thus reducing evaporation. How clever our ancestors were!
There has been a thread about this and about egg nog. I want to mention another drink, that I learned of by being in a play where it was mentioned. It's called Posset. I've made a couple of previous posts on the subject, but what the hey. I tried it once, it was amazing. There are obviously many ways to make it. It just seems so wonderfully 17th century.
They even have big elaborate specialized mugs for it.
http://www.historicfood.com/Posset Recipes.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posset
http://www.aspoonfulofsugar.net/wp/2004/10/lemon-posset/
http://www.godecookery.com/engrec/engrec62.html

Subvet642

A-List Customer
dhermann1 said:
My recipe is very simple. A teaspoon of sugar (brown if you want to get fancy) a good sized pat of butter, boiling water and a shot or two of rum, then the nutmeg on top. The whole idea is that you've just come in from being out in the extreme cold for a good long time, and your face feels like ice. The hot water re hydrates you quickly, and it carries the rum to your body and knocks you out with wondrous quickness. And the butter coats your chapped lips. You really appreciate it twice as much if you drink it after coming in from winter sports.

That's how I make it, sans the nutmeg. A great thing about Boston is that you can go into any Irish bar, and get a "Hot Whiskey". 1 shot of whiskey, hot water, a half slice of lemon with 3 cloves stuck in it and they'll give you some sugar packets. That's it! Making it at home, I omit the cloves and use honey instead of sugar. :coffee:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran