Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is anj-3 jacket supposed to have epaulets?

From the G&B site:The Army Air Force developed the AN-J-3 in 1943 under a joint Army-Navy effort to standardize military clothing. "AN" meant it was for both the Army and the Navy. "J" showed it was a jacket, and "3" stood for the third jacket developed under the program. The AN-J-3 was a good-looking flight jacket, but the Air Force bought only a few. A Navy version, called the AN-J-3a, was almost identical to the M-422 and was issued to Naval aviators for years. After buying a few thousand AN-J-3s, the Air Force abandoned leather flight clothing completely, switching to new fabrics such as nylon and polyester. The Airforce AN-J-3 combined the features of the A-2 and the M-422. All AN-J-3s had the M-422's action back, underarm gussets, rib-rack knit waistband, and button pockets as well as the A-2's collar without the snaps or hook-and-eye. Some had the A-2 epaulets and storm flap while others had the M-422's storm flap, inside chart pocket, and pencil slot under the left pocket flap. Gibson & Barnes' AN-J-3 jacket features the best features of the Air Force AN-J-3. It has an action back, underarm gussets, rib-rack knit waistband with rib knit cuffs, button-flap pockets, epaulets, outside storm flap, and the leather collar without snaps or hook-and-eye. The AN-J-3 is made from drum-dyed, lightly pigmented, glazed goatskin, giving it the same look and feel as a World War II original. It also has the same comfortable brown twill lining, pure wool waistand and cuffs, and size 5 nickel zipper with bell pull and leather thong.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If I were to buy an ANJ-3 jacket, I would give serious consideration to the Gibson & Barnes' version, likely in seal brown rather than dark brown(personal preference). The ANJ-3 provides the gusseted underarms and action back to facilitate movement without the restriction of the A-2. I own a G&B A-2 and Expedition jackets and can verify that G&B makes top notch stuff, and their customer service and repair is also top notch. I think I recall that their zippers carry a lifetime warranty. Whenever I grab a jacket on the fly during mild Texas cool weather, it seems to be either my G&B Expedition or A-2 more often than not.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW