Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a movement?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ if so what?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s it called?

farnham54

A-List Customer
Personally, I like some of the values that seem to be missing these days, but were apparent in the Golden Era. People then knew the difference between right or wrong, and the meaning of a little thing called Responsibility. There was also a certain gentlmanliness about folks as far as other people were concerned. . It's not that people weren't criminals etc. back in the day, I think the community just was wise to it rather then turning a blind eye like so many do today.

However, there are other thigns I value of the future and today's society. For example, I can see in the future a person not being denied a job because he is balck, white, woman, whatever. What I don't like today is that someone will get a job BECAUSE they are black, white, women, whatever, just to fill a quota. But in time, we'll get closer to being right.

In short: There are things I really love about the values of the golden era, and things I love about today, and by mixing the two time periods together I am content with who I am.

Cheers
Craig

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Dr. Shocker said:
I think for as many people who are moving forward in style and fashion there are just as many searching the past for style and fashion..... We look to era's we can associate with for many here the golden era for some of us its a bit later......but we all see somthing in yesterday that inspires us.......just as the swing kats from a few years ago, greasers today.....or dare I say it that weird mix of 70's and 80's post punk look some of the kids are adopting (I like to kall it geekcore it entertains me)......ideals and concepts from those eras entice us, but remember we intermingle them with ideals from today......yes they were great times but so is today with the freedom of information, less racism (soon to be gone I hope), better communication, Equal Rights (mostly), and beter health care (in most areas)......many of us combine these good contemporary ideals with older ones such as manners to creat waht we beleive to be the best of both worlds......just a thought....of course it is only my opinion

I agree. Upon thinking about it, I wonder how much of the mannerisms and conservative dress from the "Golden Era" is a function of a country coming out of the Great Depression. Think about it. During, and immediately after the Depression, as employment was improving and such, maybe the masses were trying to assure themselves and others that things were well. Consider also that clothing trends usually are started by the wealthy, then adopted by the masses, and I think it a plausable argument. National wealth begins to show itself first with the business elite, then in the middle classes.

As a society becomes wealthier, more experimentation with fashion occurs, and more leisure time is created (thus demand for leisure clothes increases). But, as things hit rock bottom, standards seem to become more conservative during any recuperation period. Take the last few years for example, after the dot com bust. Businesses return to being conservative, more ties and suits are worn, etc.

Food for thought, no?

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Clothing trends used to be started by the wealthy. Beginning in the 1950's and especially in the 1960's and 70's, new styles of dressed were being pushed not from the top (as it traditionally had been) but from the bottom of society. The most wealthy members of society spend a lot more on clothes than the lower classes, but the styles they buy are heavily influenced by predominantly lower-class fashions. This includes everything from hip-hop to bobo chic.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
A lot of people have talked about the quality of clothes that are made today… more like the lack there of. Clothes today seem to be disposable, while clothes of that era seem to have been hand crafted works of art built to last.

Much of the fashions of the last 5 decades seems to embody what Raymond Chandler called “Artificial Obsolescence,� designed to be obsolete very soon. The fashion now seem to embody the “Seattle Grunge� look and a natural progression (or regression) from that… actually TOO casual with many of the color tones from the 70’s and early 80’s.

Even the suits today seem chincy and flimsy.

From where I sit, the “Retro� Vintage gang seem to be rejecting a lot of the modern fashions. It’s almost to revolt against the overly casual style of today.

The elusion I have from the ads from that era that folks post on some of these forums is that folks actually had a healthy respect for their appearance… people actually cared about what they wore, which also leads me to be leave that if you care about how you look you’re going to care more people treat each other.

I admit that I might have a romanticized view of the Golden Era, and I admit that life back then had it’s problems. But If I could bring back the style and the substance of that era into the here and now, I would in a heartbeat.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I think that the uniformity of fashion over the decades has to do with easy access to media. The 20'so to the 60's all had definative styles. The 70's were the first decade that the general public were able to throw a tape in their VCR and easily watch people from all the previous decades. I think the eighties, 90's and 00's have been a mish mash of fashon from the preious decades. There in no uniform styles right now like the ones you found in the 20's through 60's, and when you see one pop up the lifespan of that style is short.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner