Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jerry Ito 1927-2007 True gentleman

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Actor Jerry Ito has passed away earlier this month. He was a veteran of many Japanese films and television shows who is mainly remembered in the U.S. for his wonderfully colorful portrayal of the the evil businessman Clark Nelson who kidnaps the twin fairies in the classic Toho monster movie "Mothra" (1961). I had the privilege of meeting Mr.Ito and his wife in 2005 at a series of events for the 50th anniversary of the first Godzilla movie that was held in San Francisco. I will always remember how warm Mr.Ito was to myself and my wife and too anyone who wished to say hello. He was very pleased and visibly moved at the attention that he received from many fans. He may have played an evil man,but the man behind the performance was kind and gracious. R.I.P. Jerry Ito.

A link to an news article about his passing on SciFi Japan:http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/?s=jerry+ito&x=33&y=3

Here are two photos I took of Mr.Ito onstage at the Castro Theater where he addressed an appreciative audience about to watch a beautiful Tohoscope subtitled print of "Mothra".
jerryitoonstageaw4.jpg

jerryitoonstage2zu6.jpg

(As another personal note: Seeing this wonderful movie on the big screen was one of the greatest movie moments in my life. A magical film. My eyes weren't the only ones that night just a little bit wet...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925