Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jimmy Stewart A2 "Wear" Picture

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes he does. The sleeves could be longer though. He wore a size 40 RW, but as a tall guy with long arms the fit was less than perfect.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Jimmy Stewart in his Rough Wear 1401-p. Man, does he wear that well!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Maj._Jimmy_Stewart.jpg

I met Jimmy Stewart almost 40 years ago during my otology fellowship year when I lived in LA. Although I am almost 6'2" I recall that he was somewhat taller than I. At the time, I was also a US Naval reserve flight surgeon and thanked him for his service. His face lit up like a Christmas tree as I emphasized his prior military service and didn't even mention how impressed I was with his acting career. I think that he took more pride in his military career than his other.

If one looks carefully at his jacket, the body length is disproportionately too short in relation to his height, and he should have been in an extra long. Too bad that longs were not issued during his era nor mine.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maj._Jimmy_Stewart.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
If one looks carefully at his jacket, the body length is disproportionately too short in relation to his height, and he should have been in an extra long. Too bad that longs were not issued during his era nor mine.[/QUOTE]

Most of the pics I have seen from that era , the jackets were not "fit perfect" along with the art work !
For me , that's what I love about the jacket that these guys wore.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Jimmy Stewart in "Spirit of St. Louis" & Charles Lindbergh
Screenshot2012-10-13at61816PM.png
[/IMG]
Screenshot2012-10-13at61915PM.png
[/IMG]

With regards to the A-1s , anyone have an idea if these were leather or other material ?
They seem to be very soft almost like sweaters !

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Stewart had what, 35 missions? The real deal. I always think about that whenever I see "Strategic Air Command" or "The Spirit of St Louis".

He flew 20 officially credited combat missons during WWII before be promoted to a staff position which removed him from mandatory rotation. However, he voluntarily continued to fly missions as a command pilot afterwords, even winning a second Distinguished Flying Cross while doing so! All told he flew 30-40 missions.

Clark Gable also flew a number of uncredited mission as a B-17 waist gunner, which hid did clandestinely. Apparently, when his studio bosses learned of this, they were so that something might happen to him that they were instrumental in having him transfered out a combat unit.

As a side note, when Stewart went through abbreviated basic flight (he was already a licensed civilian pilot), my grandfather was one of his flight instructors at Moffett Field.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
With regards to the A-1s , anyone have an idea if these were leather or other material ?
They seem to be very soft almost like sweaters ![/QUOTE]

The issued A-1 is capeskin, which drapes very well. Lindy's jacket, which is a private purchase jacket lacking some features of the A-1 looks like cape. I can't expand the Stewart image easily, but this looks like a woollen jacket (which again technically is not an A-1).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy