Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knit to order?

Smuterella

One Too Many
Has anyone used a "knit to order" service for getting vintage knits made up? I have found a few on google and wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
Has anyone used a "knit to order" service for getting vintage knits made up? I have found a few on google and wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

I seem to remember some time ago this came up with another PR lady, I forget which thread it was.

As a knitter I would make absolutely sure that they understand fitting properly, there is so much to be lost and gained between standard patterns and the different shapes that we all actually are. That last thing you want is for them to knit you, say a 34" bust that is 2" too short at the waist and made with a completely different ease than you were expecting. I would also ask to see pictures of what they have previously made for others.

So I would just wait to see what measurements they asked me for and gauge from there whether or not I thought it was gonna work. For example shoulder to waist measurements, shoulder measurement, and whether you want it to fit tightly or not, rather than just simply whether you are a size 10/12/14 etc.

Also I would make sure that you get to choose the yarn, just to make sure that it's suitable and the best quality you can afford.
Do you have the links for the sites you have seen so far?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany