Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

L.A. Times: How Premium Denim Is Made

Corky

Practically Family
Goldsign's Adriano Goldschmied shows how premium denim is made

The denim expert puts the fabric through its paces to achieve an 'aged' finish.

63940833.jpg

By Melissa Magsaysay Los Angeles Times August 14, 2011

Looking at a pair of premium denim jeans (you know, the kind that cost upward of $120 and are generally found in department stores and specialty boutiques), it can be easy to miss some of the tiny details, deliberate nicks and distressing that go into the design.

The process of transforming a garment with origins in sturdy, utilitarian work wear into something pricey, fashion-forward and sometimes sexy requires lengthy design sessions, an intricate fit process and hours at a wash house where denim is treated like a science experiment-meets-an-artisan-workshop rather than a mass-produced basic churned out by the thousands in a factory.

"Basically everything is done by hand," Adriano Goldschmied says, referring to the washing and fabric treating process. The founder and creative director of Goldsign Jeans and creative director for Citizens of Humanity men's line spends much of his time in his denim laundry facility in Gardena experimenting with new washes for his lines. He's referred to by many in the fashion industry as the "godfather of denim," having started and developed a number of denim companies, including Diesel, Replay, AG Adriano Goldschmied and his current obsession, Goldsign.

Goldschmied walked us through the steps he uses to get a pair of raw boot-cut jeans to look perfectly worn in, distressed and creased in all the right places.

The jeans are thrown into a washing machine with a soap that helps to break down the fabric and contrasts the blue and white yarns.

The jeans are then put into an industrial-size washing machine filled about halfway with Turkish pumice stones, which create small abrasions on the edges of pockets and along the hem of the pants.

Then the jeans are rinsed in cold water to eliminate the soap as well as any powder or residue formed during the stone-washing process. They are placed in an extractor to remove excess water until they are just slightly damp.

Next? Forty minutes in a 140-degree dryer.

Once dry, the jeans are dipped in a vat of resin to stiffen them and prepare them for the sanding and abrasion process.

Another trip to the extractor eliminates excess resin.

By this point, the jeans begin to exhibit a slightly stiff yet moldable texture ideal for deliberate creases. The pants are pulled onto a machine that is essentially the bottom half of a mannequin to create pleats around the upper thigh area and hip area — all done by hand, so no two pairs are exactly the same.

After the desired creases and pleats are made, a large black bag is zipped around the jeans and filled with air heated to 170 degrees. The heat "cures" the resin enough so that the jeans can be removed from the mannequin, hung on a rack and fed into a large 330-degree oven for 15 minutes to cure further.

Emerging from the oven, the jeans are dry and ready for sanding. They're placed on another mannequin for what Goldschmied calls "local abrasion," a process designed to enhance the texture and increase the color contrast in the fabric. Using a square of sandpaper made especially for working with denim, an employee sands specific areas on the pants. "The sanding breaks up the indigo, so the white color of the thread inside comes through," Goldschmied says.

He then dips a cloth in chlorine and goes back over the area he has just sanded to make the white areas even more white.

The jeans are washed yet again to neutralize chemicals used in processing and remove any residue created in the sanding process. (Some styles are treated with a tool that resembles a drill head with coarse sandpaper attached to it, resulting in an "aged" finish.)

Finally, the jeans are placed back on the mannequin for some browning and aging detail, which is accomplished with a torch. A finisher runs the flame lightly over some of the whiter areas to lessen the contrast.

The entire process — washing, stoning, curing and creasing — takes about six hours.

Slide Show: Step-by-step: How premium denim is made
Denim expert Adriano Goldschmied puts the fabric through its paces to achieve an 'aged' finish.

63941213.jpg

Premium denim, the Los Angeles way
For labels like Citizens of Humanity and Paige Denim, the City of Angels knows best when it comes to crafting top-quality jeans.

Last edited:

bl@ster

One of the Regulars
Interesting article, but let me stand on my soap box for just a bit here...

The distressed denim fad of today will collapse just as quickly as the acid washed jeans and french cuffs of the late 80's and early 90's.

Buy a pair of raw jeans and break them in yourself. This modern sense of immediate gratification has got to go. The idea of a guy in a warehouse grinding down jeans to make them look more "authentic" is a laugh.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Buy a pair of raw jeans and break them in yourself.
:arated:

I was a bit disappointed because the article is not at all about "how premium denim is made" This would be about the special mills where the fabric is woven and the process of sewing. Oh.. and riveting^^. Not about distressing.

Feraud

Bartender
Reminds me of an actual request I overheard at the Levi's store in Times Square.
A customer asked the sales clerk if they had a certain jean "with more wrinkles and fading". I was so close to telling the guy he has to wear those jeans to get the fading and wrinkes..

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I agree. I would never purchase a "new" pair of jeans that already look like they are in need of being "pitched" into the garbage. Fashion statement? I don't see it at all! I look at it as a "controlled" ruination of what was a nice pair of jeans. It sort of bothers me, right along with this wear your pants "below the crack line" that many people are into. I always want to just jerk them pants the rest of the way down to the ground and hope they are uptight about it enough to NOT want to continue with that fashion trend as well. Lord, I wish I was still living in the 1950's....

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Oh the irony in the last picture of Mr. Goldschmied Is wearing what looks to me to be a pair of in premium jeans. Really though I'm just jealous I can't figure out a scam like this.

Last edited:

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I'm firmly in the 'wear 'em out yerself' camp on this issue! The rise of the 'premium jean' is quite sad, really, not to mention injurious to the health of those poor workers who do the distressing - check this story about sandblasting denim and silicosis... you may have thought that this kind of industrial health problem went out with trolley cars, the hula hoop and doffing your hat for ladies, but sadly it's one 20thC holdover that's most unlovely!

You simply cannot beat a pair of dry selvedge jeans that you wear to death! Here are two of my decade-old pairs of LVC reissues, from when they were still made in San Francisco. Dig the wear on these, it's all natural! It's IMPOSSIBLE to achieve this effect with crappy 'blown together', synthetic-dyed, sandblasted denim...

LVC 1920 201xx:

294755_10150747821975471_725635470_20186141_2694441_n.jpg

292780_10150747821860471_725635470_20186140_5940854_n.jpg

LVC 1944 S501xx:

254660_10150747822110471_725635470_20186144_6425211_n.jpg

301375_10150747822020471_725635470_20186142_5483442_n.jpg

Last edited:

mattfink

Practically Family
Premium? You mean overpriced garbage...I agree with Blaster. Premium in my mind are brands like Levi's LVC, Rising Sun, Sugar Cane, K&TH....this other fake, distressed, whiskered to death stuff is total dog shit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou