Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lady's high fashion, circa 1929.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Some ads from a local, (Cleveland, Ohio) magazine called The Bystander. Dated October 26, 1929. Just 3 days before the stock market crash on the 29th! Opulence and prosperity abounded, as if no one had any idea what was to happen in just three short days.
First, some hat ads.
bystander-1929-005.jpg

bystander-1929-002.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The look, 1929.

"Calf and reptile shoe and bag"

" A most becoming hat of imported fur felt ~ the color is burgundy. From Helen Wise"

"Silk Boucle dress and imported Lapin coat with lining to match dress ~ from Lindner's"

"Drecoll Beer, (?[huh] ) model imported tweed with racoon collar and crepe blouse ~ Mary Kazhal"

"Red and black tweed ensemble with red blouse."

bystander-1929-001.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
And last but not least. An interesting aside from the magazine.

There was a play running in town at the time at "The Playhouse. "The Goose Girl", based on a Grimm's fairytale.
Can you guess who the famous person is in the photo at the upper left?
:)
bystander1929004.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yessiree.

scotrace said:
Margaret Hamilton!!

I like when you find stuff like this - very cool.

I like finding this stuff too. I had no idea she would be in this obscure publication. :)
As an update to the general financial climate at that time, I read in the financial section that there had been, "a heavy withdrawl of foreign funds in New York in recent weeks". Industrial activity had declined from the levels of early fall, and certain sectors of the stock market had apparently paid too high dividends in expectation of future earnings. So maybe some analysts knew something was up?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Lauren Henline said:
This is BRILLIANT! Thank you soooo much. You don't happen to have hi res files of this do you?

My Sony camera's resolution is 3.3 megapixels, and the digital photography thing is still new to me. I can take TIFF images if these are of higher quality? [huh] Or maybe re-sizing the image size that the camera takes will help? :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace