Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man vs. Wild : Canteen

Doug C

Practically Family
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the canteen that Bear Grills' (host/star of Man vs. Wild) carries with him on his survival adventures? I like it alot, it's kinda got style. Just a description, it's kind of an aluminum tank/bottle that tapers on the top and bottom, has a wide mouth and lid and has a long looping rope which allows it to be worn like a messenger bag (or what ever). I'd like to pick one up.

Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
Ok, I think I have this figured out ... I believe Bear is using a Nato issue water bottle with a rope he's tyed around to form a should loop.

What's been puzzleing me is that I've noticed that his is 2-toned, black on bottom and silver (aluminum?) on top ... or visa-versa, but couldn't really remember. I just assumed it was all metal, but maybe not. The Nato on that I found is made of black plastic and comes with a black plastic cup, here's a link:
http://www.bestglide.com/natowaterbottle_info.html

I think this is the one Bear is using, but he has added the optional stainless steel Crusader Cup for cooking..here's the link:
http://www.bestglide.com/crusadercup_info.html

Now, to this you can add an optional cooker/stove that might be handy, here's the link:
http://www.bestglide.com/crusader_cooker_info.html

Or save some money and get it all at a reduced rate, link:
http://www.bestglide.com/integral_survival_unit_info.html

$50 is kind of pricey for a canteen but I think this one is especially cool and I'd even maybe say classic, though I never really heard of it before..LOL. I will be getting one and adding a rope, or maybe a thin bungy cord. What do you guys think?

Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
:p It's me again! I know I keep harkin' on the canteen subject, and it doesn't look like anyone is interested much but I wanted to report on my finding in case someone in the future needs one.

I received the black plastic NATO canteen and attaching stainless cup from the link I provided earlier and was a little dissapointed. Don't get me wrong it a very descent piece of equiptment but it's quite a bit larger than it appears in the photo, and also the cup handles do not stay in place when folded shut..they don't lock down in other words. I have thought of just clipping them off or I could easily secure them shut with a rubber band around the front of the bottle.

I continued my search and found what looks like a great Aluminum (finally!) water bottle. While not being the exact one Bear uses it does look very similar and probably has even more style. According to the website, this one was designed in 1941 for the SWISS ARMY...what could be cooler than that? I just bought one of these (a little cheaper at ebay) and will give a review when it arrives. What do you guys think?
http://www.mysigg.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=289

Doug C

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
The best canteens are the sort that have a wool/fabric cover. After getting the cover wet, as it slowly dries the evaporation helps keep the water inside the canteen cooler. Wool works best, as on the WWII German and US Civil War canteens. The US WWII style also works OK.

Jay

Practically Family
Vladimir Berkov said:
The best canteens are the sort that have a wool/fabric cover. After getting the cover wet, as it slowly dries the evaporation helps keep the water inside the canteen cooler. Wool works best, as on the WWII German and US Civil War canteens. The US WWII style also works OK.
What!?! And to think of all that effort I wasted trying to keep the wool cover dry. Yes I admit that I am rather foolish.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I also like this type of soft rubberized canteen. They are very light when empty and hold two quarts.

2qtcvr.jpg

Cobden

Practically Family
You could try a 37 pattern canteen and skeleton holster; very vintage looking, has a wool cover, and can be worn with a cross strap so you can sling it easily over one's shoulder. The only problem is that they are a pain to get out of the skeleton holster (but if it's on a strap, it doesn't matter)

WEB-1950-W-BOT.jpg

Warning: try and get a 1950's one, as the WWII one's might contain lead. Also, give them a damn good clean before using and replace the cork!

Stalking

Vladimir Berkov said:
I also like this type of soft rubberized canteen. They are very light when empty and hold two quarts.

2qtcvr.jpg

A key point with these rubber type canteens is if you drink part of the water so it is partially empty, you can squeeze the canteen and get the air out. Why? Because a half empty hard shell canteen can make gluking noises as the water sloshes around inside, not good if you want to be stealthy.

However, i do love the old canteens that have the striped blanket type cover, very old timey.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Doug C said:
:p It's me again! I know I keep harkin' on the canteen subject, and it doesn't look like anyone is interested much but I wanted to report on my finding in case someone in the future needs one.

Doug C

He uses a British Army issue 1958 Pattern water bottle with a metal Crusader cup (this can by teamed up with the Crusader cooker). This is standard British Army equipment now. Far Eastern copies are often the wrong size.

Alan

Doug C

Practically Family
So the one I posted originally IS the right one then? I got it and it seems bigger than what I thought it would. I found a cooler one in the SIGG aluminum flack and cup.

Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff