Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marlowe

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I just wanted to share this great photograph of Dick Powell as Philip Marlowe from Murder, My Sweet. It was published in a great book called Dark City Dark: The Lost World of Film Noir by Eddie Muller.

Enjoy!

Marlowe_mms.jpg

BTW:
I just finished the book that movie was taken from, Farewell, My Lovely. I am always suprised how scripts deviate from the original story. Moose and the doctor have a much smaller parts in the book. There were some scenes in the book that were logical to change. It would have cost the production a lot to include the gambling ships. Also eliminating and combinging two of the three giant men helps build the Moose character. Several actors have played Moose Malloy, but nobody nailed it like Mike Mazurki.

That might just be my favorite Chandler book.

JerseyRED

New in Town
Have you compared it to the 1975 movie version of Farewell, My Lovely with Robert Mitchum? It's been awhile for me but I believe this version is closer to the book. And it doesn't bother me at all that Mitchum is "older".

But don't bother with the version of him cast as Marlowe in The Big Sleep! Set in England?!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
JerseyRED said:
Have you compared it to the 1975 movie version of Farewell, My Lovely with Robert Mitchum? It's been awhile for me but I believe this version is closer to the book. And it doesn't bother me at all that Mitchum is "older".
That's the best version in my opinion. Although Mitchum is older than the book calls for, he had that world-weary thing going on that nobody every equaled. I find the old black and white versions, however good, to be trying too hard to be tough and all the actors look and act the same.
But don't bother with the version of him cast as Marlowe in The Big Sleep! Set in England?!
I watched that last night. I thought it was excellent, far better than the Bogey version!

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I just wanted to share this great photograph of Dick Powell as Philip Marlowe from Murder, My Sweet. It was published in a great book called Dark City Dark: The Lost World of Film Noir by Eddie Muller.

For some reason I can't see the photo you posted. Don't know if the link is broken of what. But I own the Dark City book, so if you'll just tell me what page it's on . . .

To me there are few films better or more classic than Bogart's portrayal of Marlowe in The Big Sleep. Everything about that film makes it the quintessential Film Noir Detective flick, IMHO. Having said that, I also love Mitchum's Marlowe in Farewell, My Lovely and consider it one of my favorite noir's as well. I have digital copies of both films and can watch them repeatedly. I've seen the Big Sleep more times than I can count.

While I think Powell also did pretty good with the role, his version of the character is probably my least favorite of the three.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
A link that is only 10 years old doesn't work anymore. I hope all of us here see the irony in that! I have records that are nearly 100 years old that play just fine.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Brian Sheridan said:
A link that is only 10 years old doesn't work anymore. I hope all of us here see the irony in that! I have records that are nearly 100 years old that play just fine.
I know what you're saying, but for the period it was active that link was viewable by everyone on the planet with internet access, while your records are only enjoyable by you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails