Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stratoliner Milan {modern}

javadave61

Practically Family
I actually don't really like this hat much at all as is ... no idea why they even attach the Strat name to it

Moon, I recently sold mine. I was really wanting to love this hat, but short of a professional hatter reblocking it, there's no changing its basic shape. The brim never held my attempts to straighten it. Also, my brim was more 7 1/4 than 7 1/2. And with the curl, the brim was never quite proportional to the crown.

But my biggest reason for selling it was the matching ribbon (color, that is). Given the texture of the Milan, the ribbon got lost. It appeared as if there was no ribbon. A good modification to this hat would be a wider ribbon or a thin ribbon of contrasting color. They appear to make the Milan Strat with contrasting ribbon, and that would be an improvement.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Moon, I recently sold mine. I was really wanting to love this hat, but short of a professional hatter reblocking it, there's no changing its basic shape. The brim never held my attempts to straighten it. Also, my brim was more 7 1/4 than 7 1/2. And with the curl, the brim was never quite proportional to the crown.

But my biggest reason for selling it was the matching ribbon (color, that is). Given the texture of the Milan, the ribbon got lost. It appeared as if there was no ribbon. A good modification to this hat would be a wider ribbon or a thin ribbon of contrasting color. They appear to make the Milan Strat with contrasting ribbon, and that would be an improvement.

I'm in the same boat

I really want to like it ... it is a comfortable hat

but the brim is horrible and the crown is just too low ... for my taste in a "strat"

I really struggle to find things to like about it ... and am wondering why they attached the Stratoliner name to it at all ... maybe they had a surplus of those cheap little airplanes they put on the ribbons now

I am a Stetson guy before anything else ... and I stand by so many of the things they put out

but this hat is a huge failure in my book ... but who cares about my book

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
If Stetson is going to try and clone their vintage stuff in straw, why not at least make them to vintage specs? These newer straws with tapered up low crowns and short brims just don't appeal to me.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Agree with you BOTH 200%!!! Though having nothing to do with vintage, my Panama Brewster is a PITA! Now the recent production, Original '47 Panama is an entirely different story.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Original '47. Current production.
681f2ec255cfdd8454bf24e585ee3ce0.jpg
15e460fb96e4cbe3f6e37ecc18c122e5.jpg
e3bdab2ebfb288b1ad36e11746d61ade.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I can only find the one that is not crushable at one place online

I may order it right now... waiting on a review Bob :)

leather sweat ?
specs?
size true ?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I can only find the one that is not crushable at one place online

I may order it right now... waiting on a review Bob :)

leather sweat ?
specs?
size true ?
The Stetson 48? Is that what you found? Delmonico Hatters has both the 47 and the 48. They look to be the same style hat. The difference is that 47 is foldable and less expensive. I would imagine that the specs would be the same for both. The crown height is 4 1/4 and the brim is 2 1/2.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Brim is 2.75 little bit of cowboy curl on the side. Doesnt need to be snapped down. Sorta just sits there but can b snapped down as u can see. I'll get u the specs on the crown in a few hrs.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
The Stetson 48? Is that what you found? Delmonico Hatters has both the 47 and the 48. They look to be the same style hat. The difference is that 47 is foldable and less expensive. I would imagine that the specs would be the same for both. The crown height is 4 1/4 and the brim is 2 1/2.

Delmonico doesn't have the non crushable 47
why in the world would they make that shantung version to begin with ... a waste in my opinion

I found one place that has the actual Panama straw 47

the 48 has a smaller brim and a different crown

Last edited:

javadave61

Practically Family
I have the Panama Open Road that I reshaped from cattleman to c-crown. I believe it's essentially the same? Right Bob? If you like a black ribbon over the brown, Delmonico has their own version (the Stockman) with the black ribbon. So this can be reshaped to your liking.

304f6c2c4c0c9efcd18c511380806d9d.jpg

11092de84e79c62174a757c257a0cf91.jpg

Delmonico Stockman

09475f3e6c4085fbe94a8ef000a77fe3.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Delmonico doesn't have the non crushable 47
why in the world would they make that shantung version to begin with ... a waste in my opinion

I found one place that has the actual Panama straw 47

After seeing what Bob R and Nyah got from Peters Bros I'm more inclined on getting one custom made rather than buying a straw off the shelf. The prices at Peters Bros are affordable and you get the specs you want. Bob got an awesome looking Milan from them. Nyah got what looks to be a Strat straw clone that sports some vintage looking specs.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
After seeing what Bob R and Nyah got from Peters Bros I'm more inclined on getting one custom made rather than buying a straw off the shelf. The prices at Peters Bros are affordable and you get the specs you want. Bob got an awesome looking Milan from them. Nyah got what looks to be a Strat straw clone that sports some vintage looking specs.

any idea what the lead time is ?

RBH

Bartender
I'm in the same boat

I really want to like it ... it is a comfortable hat

but the brim is horrible and the crown is just too low ... for my taste in a "strat"

I really struggle to find things to like about it ... and am wondering why they attached the Stratoliner name to it at all ... maybe they had a surplus of those cheap little airplanes they put on the ribbons now

I am a Stetson guy before anything else ... and I stand by so many of the things they put out

but this hat is a huge failure in my book ... but who cares about my book

It is nice to have a friend with blocks!

My milan ...before and after reblocking and a reflange.

reblock.jpg

and a shot of it on. My favorite summer fedora.

strawstrat.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21