Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stratoliner Milan {modern}

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Woof - that looks nice, I think I'm sold even with a 2-1/2" brim. But where's the little airplane?
BTW, for those interested I found a coupon code for free US ground shipping from menshats.com - it's "AdRoll1".
(I hope that doesn't bug you too much Tom - I hate hearing about deals after the fact...)

Hah, glad you mentioned it, I forgot it was supposed to have one. Fell off in the bag. Don't worry about the discount code, it's not like shipping was hundreds of dollars. :)

Tom

jbucklin

Practically Family
Here are a couple of pics of the Whitehall:
downsized_0315021707.jpg

downsized_0315021711.jpg

Embossed on the sweatband are the words, "Genuine Shantung Panama" which of course means it's not a Milan weave, but the material feels identical to the Milan Strat. Based on this comparison I highly doubt that the Strat is synthetic straw.

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
Shantung is a type of paper straw, is it not? "Synthetic", to me anyway, means polypropylene.

I thought Shantung was paper also. I'm OK with it either way - I don't mind the ability to wear a hat in the rain with no penalty. I'll be able to put in my 2 cents next week, I just ordered one in sand. It will be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison with the Akubra Capricorn.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Yes this hat is aplastic coated paper made hat. Not a true Milan straw hat at the price it is being offered at told me that. I have a couple of Stetson's hat like this that ok for what they are.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I thought Shantung was paper also. I'm OK with it either way - I don't mind the ability to wear a hat in the rain with no penalty. I'll be able to put in my 2 cents next week, I just ordered one in sand. It will be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison with the Akubra Capricorn.

I was thinking you and I were the same size, but perhaps not. What size did you buy? I'd need a 63, which I haven't seen available anywhere (unless that plastic hat can be stretched into a long oval).

carldelo

One Too Many
I was thinking you and I were the same size, but perhaps not. What size did you buy? I'd need a 63, which I haven't seen available anywhere (unless that plastic hat can be stretched into a long oval).

I'm a true 62, 7-3/4, i.e. my cranium has circumference of 24-3/8" and I'm a regular oval. That size 62 Akubra Sydney was a bit big on me. I'll post a review of the straw Strat when I get it, and let you know whether it could go long oval.

DougC

Practically Family
Paris Hatters just got the Milan Strat in and I bhought one. I wasn't really happy with how the brin flange is stock, so, they are flattening it out--more like an Open Road.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Received my Stetson Milan Stratoliner.

Got mine in the mail today from Men's Hats. The brim on mine is 2 and 1/2 inches. I ordered a 7 and 1/8 size (I measure 22 and 1/2) and the hat fits perfect. Very confortable and sits nice and light on the head. I think it's going to be a favorite. I like it!:)
P1000951.jpg

P1000950.jpg

P1000952.jpg

P1000953.jpg

FWIW, the sweat is marked "Florentine Milan." Oh, and the Stratoliner pin appears to be cheap plastic!:eusa_doh: I hope it's not the same one they are using on the modern fur Stratoliner.

GA

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
I picked one of these up at Paris Hatters today too. The tag says it is a 2 1/2" brim. I measured it though and it came in a little shorter at 2 3/8". Nice hat for the price though.

DougC, I'd be interested in seeing what Paris Hatters does with your brim. My front brim snaps down fine but the back curls up a little much for my taste. However, I was going to leave it like that for now and see if gravity or a little rain may correct it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21