Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most amazing store I've visited in a long time...

DerMann

Practically Family
My college provides us with free rides to Indianapolis for the day, and I decided to take up the offer this time.

Outside of downtown Indy, there's a small town area kind of thing called Broad Ripple. On the main road there is a shop called "Hardwicke's Pipe, Tobacco, and Fine Writing Instruments."

How could I resist?

They had EVERYTHING. From Montblancs to Sheaffers and Dunhills to Petersons.

I thought the combination was, to say the least, a bit odd. A fully stocked pen shop and a fully functioning tobacconist (high end cigarettes to fine cigars). I sampled a Pelikan 850 (I think) and walked out with a few of their (cheaper) house cigars.

Not quite sure what to think about it yet, but they haven't a website. Which means that they are still doing quite well without being forced into the new era of technology.

Dreadfully quaint shop. Did not get pictures, though.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Sounds like a great place to spend an afternoon. Too bad about the lack of illustrations, but good info for anyone in the area who wants to take a look.

DerMann

Practically Family
Didn't post the address, my mistake, must've been just a tad inebriated...

Apparently they have two locations one on Broad Ripple and one in downtown Indianapolis.

743 Broad Ripple Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46220
317-257-5915

24 North Meridian Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
317-635-7884

The staff was very helpful, and not pushy or anything.

der schneider

One of the Regulars
Well next time you visit Hardwicks you better visit my shop, Der mann!!!
I am just around the corner on Guilford and I am sure you will find my tailor shop just as facinating. I grew up walking by hardwicks, my fathers tailor shop was a few doors down on the avenue. It is still there but he sold it to the current owners. I moved into the ripple this spring.
if you are in town on a tuesday we have a get together each week after 7pm. bring your pipe and hat and cane

ET

One of the Regulars
Der's a lot of der's in der lounge and it's not even Dersday.

And away we go.....:eek:fftopic: :eusa_clap

Der's a song sumpin like dat der der...

Mairzy dotes and dozy dotes and little lamsy divey,
A kiddly divey, too - wouldn't you?

(Bridge:)
Now if the words sound queer, and funny to your ear,
A little bit jumbled and jivey,
Just say, "Mares eat oats, and does eat oats,
And little lambs eat ivy."

A kiddly divey, too - a kiddly divey,too,
A kiddly divey, too - wouldn't

ET

One of the Regulars
Sorry had to be done- the stores - both tobacconist/ stationer and tailor both sound great- will try to swing through next time thru Indianapolis.

Ed

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Tobacco store in Broadripple

If I recall, they also carry some of the remade 1930's business card holders, cigarette cases, etc. They are somewhat common, but still, a nice addition to this store.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
DerMann said:
I thought the combination was, to say the least, a bit odd. A fully stocked pen shop and a fully functioning tobacconist
Actually it's not that unusual. In NYC, Dunhill and Davidoff traffic in both and in Europe I've seen many smaller shops do so as well. It may be that cigar/cigarette lighters and pens are in the same ballpark as accessories, mechanically speaking. Just a guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff