Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Lackawanna

Barry

Practically Family
Mr. Lackawanna (our nickname for this guy) stood in my grandmother and grandfather's "working man's" clothing store for years and years. The store was open from sometime in the 40s to the 80s. When I was about 5 or 6 and went to visit I'd run all over the store with him. He's made from rubber and he's in good shape with the exception of a minor incsion on his neck. I'm guessing he's from the 50s or 60s. I'll have to ask though.

The store sold mostly church clothes to workers and country folk - they had affordable shirts, suits, trousers, hats, ties, you name it - they probably had it. It was an old credit/installment business that existed before credit cards.

The photo isn't the whole deal...he stands on a little platform that says "Lackawanna Products" and "Saxon Slacks."

lacka.jpg

Barry

Practically Family
I was hoping to find out more information about the manufacturer - I saw an ad on e-bay for Saxon slacks from Lackawanna NY but it was from the 60s. It would be cool to have more info about it. All I know is a salesman sent it down - it's just a cool little advertisement/display.

Also just got off the phone with my mom - he was there when she was a kid so he must have been there since the late 40's.

Barry

nightandthecity

Practically Family
A thoroughly splendid looking chap! Hard to believe he's one of you Colonial coves though. He holds his pipe like a true Briton.

Wild Root

Gone Home
nightandthecity, we all stood a little nicer 60 years ago! ;)

Say, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s quite something there. How tall is that store display? He really has a 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s look to him I must say. Those inverse pleats on his pants, the short tie and the pipe shout typical post war father figure.

I see some one likes it very much to use it as an avatar! That is a very high complement from Mr. Chevalier!

Thanks for sharing that story with us!

=WR=

PS. Too bad you don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t have any of the stores old stock!

Barry

Practically Family
Wild Root said:

Say, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s quite something there. How tall is that store display? He really has a 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s look to him I must say. Those inverse pleats on his pants, the short tie and the pipe shout typical post war father figure.

The whole thing is about 16 inches tall. The figure is about 14 inches tall and he's standing on a little platform with some wording on it. The paint has faded over the years though. I'll post a better picture tomorrow night.

I wish I had some pictures of the inside of the store around the time it fist opened. I'll have to see if my mom or grandmother have any.

Barry

Barry

Practically Family
Wild Root said:

The whole thing is about 16 inches tall. The figure is about 14 inches tall and he's standing on a little platform with some wording on it. The paint has faded over the years though. I'll post a better picture tomorrow night.

I wish I had some pictures of the inside of the store around the time it fist opened. I'll have to see if my mom or grandmother have any.

Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo