Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Boots are ruined, any ideas??????

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Well, I took my kangaroo hide boots to be resoled today. I've known the shoe repairman all my life and he's fixed many pairs of shoes for me at cost or free. He's 77 now and his sight isn't as good as it once was. So he messed up on the sewing machine and screwed up the toe. If we take out the thread there will be holes in the side of the toe near the sole. Any suggestions? Or should I just use them for a back up pair?:(

Mike K.

One Too Many
Hey Lincsong,

Don't give up just yet. First, can you post a photo of the boots showing the stitching? This will give members a better idea of the problem so we can assist you.

At this point, without fully understanding the situation, I'm guessing that the real concern will simply be covering stitch holes if repair work is done. If this is the case you can probably get away with two solutions. First (and simplest) will be to fill the stitch holes with a urethane sealer. They sell this stuff at outdoor shops and I've used it successfully to repair leather hiking boots that were cut on a sharp rock. All you do is squirt a little bit into the "wound" on your boot and wait for it to dry. The patch creates a good permanent seal that can be covered easily with shoe polish. The second option would be a bit more complicated and is not a do-it-yourself fix. It would be to cover the entire toe with a leather cap (assuming your boots aren't already cap toes). The cap toe, if done correctly, would look quite good and also add a bit of extra protection to the toes of the boot.

Good luck...hope this helps!!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Mike,

Thanks, I'll run out to the sporting goods store. I thought that there had to be some type of sealer. The shoeman is old, like I said, so the minds not as sharp as usual. I will try to post a picture of the boots. Since, I'm a skinflint myself I'll have to track down someone with a digital camera.lol This should work out.

Mike K.

One Too Many
The urethane sealant that you want is somewhat gelatinous...don't get the liquid type used for sealing tent seams. Use just enough to fill the small holes. You do not want a thick layer smeared across your boot. Also, after the sealant begins to set and dry, dab it softly with your fingertip. This will "rough up" the surface a bit so it doesn't appear shiny when dry. It might take a couple of applications depending on how much sinks into the holes. Be sure to follow the directions on the tube as it takes a few days (if I recall) to properly set. All that's left is to put on a bit of polish and you should be good to go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24