Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New, Vintage, Homemade Resistol Packable

Ande1964

Practically Family
A couple of years ago, when I started buying hats with a passion (it's subsided now... mostly), one of my first purchases was a Resistol stingy from the '60s. The sweat band was pretty shot, and it was too small for me. The felt, though, was really nice. It was that soft "Kitten Finish". I knew I wanted to do something with this hat, but I had no idea what I could do.

I've since become more experienced with sewing in sweat bands, making ribbon, blocking, stretching, and such. So, I recently got this old Resistol out again and began to think about options. I didn't really need another stingy dark brown fedora. What I did need was a packable.

So, I started wondering why I couldn't make a packable hat. This felt seemed to have about the right amount of stiffener left intact. I didn't want a leather sweat band, but I just acquired a bunch of grosgrain, and I thought this four inch wide stuff might do the trick. So, I ironed that giant grosgrain ribbon over a couple of times, ending up with three layers. I then attached that as the hat's new sweat band.

Of course, the new grosgrain sweat came after a clean, mild stretch, and block. The ribbon was in pretty good shape, and one of the nicest I've even seen, so I was thrilled to re-use it. This hat looks dark brown or gray depending on the light, and the ribbon makes it really versatile.

I'm pretty pleased with it! Not sure how it will survive the suitcase, but it seems to fold up and pop back pretty well.

Before:
before01.jpg

before02.jpg

And After:
after01.jpg

after02.jpg

after03.jpg

On Me:
on_me.jpg

Anj

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Great idea - and well executed!

Most, most soft vintage fur felt hats will roll up and come back, felt-wise. It's the trimmings which suffer, but you may have solved that. If the ribbon on yours proves to get too many creases, you might try one at about 7/8" or 1".

G'luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany