Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My ties: information, please

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
5545381858_eba3ac3361_z.jpg

The light blue one fourth from left is new. I'm guessing most of the rest are 50-55 years old except the relatively wide red striped one on top of the modern/spare-tie pile at far left. Has a nice '40s look when worn.

5538466139_5a223f664e_z.jpg

5545381866_363b364bb4_m.jpg

5544841367_8c740659bb_m.jpg

5544841391_5c465a720b_m.jpg

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Thanks.

The labels I have, from left: Pierre Jacques, 'RN 14947, All Acetate', Mr John, Chaps by Ralph Lauren (obviously the ringer in this bunch), Palm Beach by Beau Brummel (American though interestingly it's my only tie with the stripes slanting the British way), '65% Acetate, 35% Rayon', 'John Wanamaker Men's Store, All Silk' (it's local), 'Hamburgers, Baltimore' with (what you're asking for) 'Hide-A-Way Zipper Tie by Sherman', Smoothie Button-Down Tie by Schreter and 'Bloomingdale's Men's Store, All Silk'.

There are some general parameters that will give you a good idea as to when a tie was made.

The length of a tie coupled with the width usually points to a time period.
Some materials such as early man made ones can be a tip off.
The designs and construction can point at a certain time period.

As I understand it ties of the 30's tend to be natural materials, are moderately wide and fairly short. The designs tend to be not as wild as later years.

The 40's early on continues much of the 30's themes but mid to late 40's brings in the "bold look." Still fairly wide some are a bit longer than 30's but the use of new materials brings a whole new palate of colors which are combine with new designs and woven patterns ties become bold. It has been suggested that in response to WWII's drab colors for service men there is a pent up desire for bolder looks. Geometrics, artistic images of animals and plants, sweeping curves and other designs create a dynamic tie movement.

Later 50's ties become longer & narrower and the use of geometrics is often restrained almost minimalist compared to the bold look. Early 60's is more minimalist in most, longer still and can be even narrower.

As the design of suits changed ties changed in response to more open fronts the went lower, they can echo the width of lapels to present a specific thrust for the look of the time.

So you may see some give a lot of information as to length, width, materials and makers combined with the pictures to give the collectors a better appreciation for those ties.

The others can spell out the measurements better than I.

Ties generate a good amount of interest in this section, so be sure to look over some of the other tie threads and enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic