Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naked City (1948)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I just watched this film. It was suggested by Michael Mallory.

It is an intelligent written who-done-it with nice photography. It features a variety of different suits and hats worn by the cops and also a good selection of casual clothes too.

It was shot in New York City. It is really great to see horse drawn transportation along side cars and trucks. It is hard to imagaine that in Manhattan today.

It is a good rental that is worth watching.

Barz51

New in Town
I know this post is over five years old but...

I just saw the movie last week and I really enjoyed it! It really struck me when the killer, running from the police, takes time to put on a jacket as he leaves his apartment. When he ran down the street you could see why, all the men on the streets were wearing jackets and hats! The movie was filmed on location in NYC in the middle of the summer, and the vast majority of the men in working class neighborhood look better than the vast majority of men in an upper class neighborhood do today!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
The police precinct where much of that movie was shot is right in my neighborhood.

It's showing at NYC's Film Forum as part of a Jules Dassen retrospective in March.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
One of the all time great lines . . .

Every time I walk down the street in New York and see the perpetual ongoing show that this crazy town is always putting on, I'm reminded of that great line: "There are eight million stories in the Naked City."
And in case you didn't know, it spun off into a pretty good TV show for several seasons in the 50's.

martinsantos

Practically Family
I just watched this film. It was suggested by Michael Mallory.

It is an intelligent written who-done-it with nice photography. It features a variety of different suits and hats worn by the cops and also a good selection of casual clothes too.

It was shot in New York City. It is really great to see horse drawn transportation along side cars and trucks. It is hard to imagaine that in Manhattan today.

It is a good rental that is worth watching.

Hi.

Sometimes you will ear about the influence of a photography book about this movie. I believe this is true. "The Naked City", by WeeGee - aka Arthur Fellig. New-yorker, from the 30s and 40s, always with a Speed Graphic and flash. He registered the "dark side" of life. Little criminals, fires, poor people. More than the register of tragedies, he made art. He is one of my preferred photographers.

After a few years he made another book - "Naked Hollywood", but not so impressive.

Martin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy