Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Nanny"

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"No not "The Nanny" but the Frightfully British Television series from the early 1980's "Nanny" starring Wendy Craig, the story of a British nanny between the wars in England, its just been released on DVD here in the Antipodes"

_41570550_nanny_bbc203.jpg

There were three series of Wendy Craig's self-devised period drama, about the newly-qualified nanny Barbara Gray and her various positions in 1930s homes, culminating in her establishment of a children's home. Episodes were contributed by such writers as Terence Brady & Charlotte Bingham, and there were plenty of classy actors to lend solid support, Patrick Troughton, Jane Booker and Joan Hickson among them. Exported all over the world, one might say this series was merely harmless, a long way from dramatic fireworks and not something one would itch to see again, but the title sequence and Grant Hassock's music are charming; the Radio Times claimed that this series lead to a rise in the number of nannies...

dvd_nanny_boxset.jpg

nanny1982l.jpg

Watch the charming opening titles here
http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/drama/drama_l-r.html

Episode guide

1. INNOCENT PARTY:Nanny Barbara Gray's first job is looking after Robin (4) the disturbed child of a Member of Parliament and his socialite life who both show him little affection. A previous nanny had mysteriously left. Barbara's efforts to help Robin draw a frosty response from the parents.

2. NOW LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE:While coping with the children of a family of likeable social climbers, Barbara shocks the snobbish nannies of Kensington Gardens by inviting their over-protected tots to a party they'll never forget.3.

JUST SOMEBODY BEING NAUGHTY:A long-awaited male heir of the Sackville family among five little girls, presents Barbara with problems from an obsessive Victorian father and a 'modern' mother. The girls also resent the new nanny.

4. THE MAGIC ISLAND:Having won over the children, Barbara hopes to stay longer with the Sackvilles, but they are terrorised by a formidable governess. Barbara invents a 'magic island' as an escape game for her charges ' with unexpected results

.5. TROMPE L'OEIL:When Mrs Sackville confesses an affair with a young man, Barbara is unwillingly involved in blackmail, but gets a shock over a romantic attachment concerning herself. It is time to move on

.6. GOATS AND TIGERS:In a new post, Barbara's charges are two difficult children living with their grandmother on the lonely Suffolk coast. A fearful mystery about their parents creates unforeseen problems for Nanny Gray.

7. WAIFS AND STRAYS:progressive intellectuals, Lewis and Adela Quinn, adopt two Cockney boys from slumland as a social experiment. As Barbara anticipates, the children are puzzled and frightened by their new world and react violently.

8. A BIRDLESS CAGE:Barbara restores peace to the Quinn household but Adela's pregnancy ends in tragedy. However, Nanny is determined that the story of the two Cockney boys will have a happy ending.

9. A PINCH OF DRAGON'S BLOOD:Barbara's next move is to that Rudd family's large house in Norfolk run by lazy, out-f-work relatives. She collapses from overwork and has an unexpected and tempting encounter with her ex-husband Archie.

10. OTHER PEOPLE'S BABIES:Self-doubts about her role as nanny, the impending bankruptcy of the Rudd family and her ex-husband's offer, all put Barbara in a dilemma. But the children make a heart-warming gesture that decides her future life as a nanny.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Humm, yes, i do remember these series.
They were aired in my growing up years in Spain.

I sure would like to watch then again as when i was younger i never did pay too much attention to then.

I'll keep an eye open for then over here.

Thanks Binkie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy