Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naturally curly hair

Gogo

New in Town
Hello ladies, this is my first post on this amazingly informative forum. I've already learned so much from reading your posts! The question I have relates to what kind of styling I should do with my naturally curly hair, which isn't particularly frizzy but is definitely on the scruffy side if allowed to do its own thing.

Recently I've been experimenting with doing a wet set, leaving in curly rollers overnight, which is giving me wildly varying results, occasionally fantastic but often frighteningly random! It definitely gives my curls more shape, but taming that shape in the right direction is proving challenging.

Do any of you naturally curly women attempt to tame your curls with a set? And if so, what success have you had?

D

Deleted member 12480

nice to meet you too! No worries, i've done it loads of times. :)

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
The link posted here takes me to a thread about charm bracelets.

My question is similar to the original one, except that I'm wondering if there's a way to tame my natural curl into waves without setting them on rollers. I have the natural curls already - just need to coax them in the right direction. I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried to get a retro curl/wave with their natural curls minus rollers or pincurls... Is it an impossible thing?

crwritt

One Too Many
The link posted here takes me to a thread about charm bracelets.

My question is similar to the original one, except that I'm wondering if there's a way to tame my natural curl into waves without setting them on rollers. I have the natural curls already - just need to coax them in the right direction. I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried to get a retro curl/wave with their natural curls minus rollers or pincurls... Is it an impossible thing?

Hi Clabbergirl
Here's something you might find worth a try. It really loosened my curl for a few days, and although I know your hair is much tighter curl than mine,see what you think. Its called oil shampooing. Take a pea sized bit of coconut oil and melt it in your palms, then distribute it through your hair. Shampoo well with a regular shampoo, rinse with water, then rinse with 1T apple cider vinegar mixed in a large tumbler of water. Rinse out,and comb smoothly. Allow to dry,(I used a bonnet dryer) and brush to style. I used a slightly dampened brush.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlt...22113-has-anyone-nc-tried-oil-shampooing.html

crwritt

One Too Many
Thanks for the tip Crwritt. I am definitely going to give that a try :) i wonder if other oils would work? I've no coconut oil, but have plenty of jojoba oil, so I might try that first.
I love jojoba oil for my hair, I occasionally use a little overnight for conditioning. I don't even wash it out in the morning, it just absorbs.
I have heard of using other oils with this, such as olive oil. Coconut oil seems to have a slight straightening effect on my hair.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Ouidad makes some really great products and their website is pretty helpful as well:
http://www.ouidad.com/?sc=ppc_GT2_OUITTR_TRMK

With natural curl you already have a sort of finger wave pattern, using duckbill clips you can clip the waves and allow your hair to dry creating a smoother curl. Also, generally speaking, don't brush or comb your hair after you apply product, the only time I comb my hair is in the shower, touching it or combing it in anyway while drying or after it is dry will make frizz. I hope this helps :)

crwritt

One Too Many
I'm remembering that Katherine Hepburn had naturally curly hair, and no patience for fussiness, so she would just twist it up into
some sort of updo, wet. Of course, she was one of a kind, but certainly an example of naturally curly hair done vintage style.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I'm looking for others who've done this as it sounds really interesting. I already use coconut oil to condition overnight, but have never noticed any effect on curl pattern. My hair drinks it up and it feels so much softer after a couple of treatments. I haven't been using an apple cider vinegar rinse though - curious what that does to the hair shaft. Thanks for pointing me in this direction!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass