Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help identifying a strange cutter

HaraldTheSwede

Familiar Face
A while back I watched the splendid western Pursued with Robert Mitchum. In one scene a man uses what seems to be a very strange cigar cutter. I've been wanting to identify it ever since. Anyone seen one before?

I took the following screenshots:

pursuedcutter01.jpg

pursuedcutter02.jpg

pursuedcutter03.jpg

pursuedcutter04.jpg

Here is a movie clip if you want to see it in action. It's about 5MB.
http://web.comhem.se/~u73611070/pursuedcutter.avi

HaraldTheSwede

Familiar Face
I am at present in the back garden enjoying a Monte torpedo and a few pint glasses of Famous Grouse with Coke. :cheers1: :cheers1: :beer: Listening to Radio Dismuke. Great fun!

Sounds like the perfect way to spend an evening. Ok, I would've have changed the scotch and coke for some nice Islay whisky with a few drops of water, but still. ;)

Best regards vis a vis the cutter - mine's a German made Solingen twin blade.

One of those vintage Solingen cutters? I'm using a modern Xikar Xi2 myself. They make great cutters. Actually the blades for the Xikar cutters are made in Solingen, Germany.

PS - how come your English is so good? :cool2:

Well thanks. I suppose it's because I want it to be. You can learn a lot from watching movies, reading books, and spending time on the Internet. :cool:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Wish I could...

That's an interesting desktop (countertop) cutter. Do you have any other vintage cutters, HaraldTheSwede? Most cigar rings tyoday, as you know, are much fatter then they were when such cutters were made. I'm always looking for items from the John W. Merriam Co., a tobacconist in New York in the early 20th century ("At The Sign of the Bulldog"). The cutter I have with their logo is too small to use with any but the smallest gauge torpedos or a fumas or cigarillo or something. Looks neat though.
You might try an auto-search at ebay that will tip you off if/when such a thing comes up. I think it would be worth the hunt. With so many tobacconists worldwide at one time, there have to be similar items from pubs, saloons, bars, cigar stores, barbershops, etc., out there to be found.

HaraldTheSwede

Familiar Face
Afraid I don't have any vintage cutters.

Good suggestion to try an ebay auto-search. At this point I'm mainly looking for information about the cutter though. I'm not even sure how it works. Somewhere there has got to be someone with information about this intriguing item.

HaraldTheSwede

Familiar Face
It seems this kind of cutter is called parallel arm cutter. Two companies called Erie Specialty Company or Brunhoff company are said to have produced them.

Here is a fancy version:
http://www16.inetba.com/clocksamericana/item75592.ctlg

Given the explaining text at that site, and the fact that the arm splits as you press down (look closely) I'm guessing the lower arm pushes a blade forward that cuts the cigar.

HaraldTheSwede said:
Given the explaining text at that site, and the fact that the arm splits as you press down (look closely) I'm guessing the lower arm pushes a blade forward that cuts the cigar.

That sounds about right. If you look closely at the cutter in question, there appear to be two separate arms there. When he presses down, the bottom lever is engaged and that probably contains the blade that cuts the cigar. As it goes back up the blade retracts and the cigar is ready to go.

Regards to all,

J

zeus36

A-List Customer
Watching the video, I notice he uses a double strike motion. Wonder if that is just his mannerism or necessary for operation of the cutter?

Since we are on the subject of cigars, anyone see the matchsafe Gene Hackman used in the movie "The Quick and the Dead" ? I bought a simple antique one in Christchurch but have been looking for a more ornate style as seen in the film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24