Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Battle of Britain

matei

One Too Many
Hi all... since suffering from a nasty bout of Covid that nearly killed me during the latter part of the pandemic, I've not been able to deal with the cold at all. Prior to that I was OK, I could wear something as light as an A2 with a jumper underneath and I'd be OK as long as it wasn't under 5c outside. However after my bout with the bug, that wasn't enough. I did get a B-6 from ELC which is great up to 5C, but being outside for any length of time in the colder temps chills me to the bone.

Using that as a plausible excuse to get a new jacket ;) , I've had my eye on either a B-3 or an Irvin for some time. As we live here in the UK I figured I'd be as patriotic as an Irishman could possible be for his adopted country (tongue somewhat in cheek!) and opted for an Irvin from Aero. I already have a Barnstormer from them and a few jumpers (submariner, para) - their stuff is top notch. (mind you so is ELC's - but I'm lucky enough to already have 2x ELC jackets so wanted to change things up).

I went for the Battle of Britain repro in pebbled Merino. It is a lovely jacket... looks lovely, smells lovely. I initially ordered a 44, then changed my mind to a 46 - but with all the to-and-fro something got lost in translation and the 44 was sent.

I'm glad it was, as the 46 would've been too big. It is a bulky (yet light) jacket to begin with. The fit is comfortable and not too snug. I can actually wear my RN or para jumpers underneath (which are bulky in their own rite) w/o feeling like a sausage.

It is a short jacket, as they're meant to be, so for a guy with a long torso who usually wears a 44L it is right at the limit - but it seems to be the norm with Irvins to have one's jumper extending out from underneath.

The throat strap is a bit odd, kind of hard to get used to as it comes up quite high, but I don't actually foresee any event where I'd have to utilise it as I don't often find myself in an unpressurised or open cockpit at 20000 feet.

Aero turned this around quite quickly I might add, I believe I ordered it in late November/early December.

IMG_4088.jpeg
IMG_4087.jpeg
IMG_4084.jpeg
IMG_4085.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4086.jpeg
    IMG_4086.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 38

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
My fave in Aero´s Shearling lineup (but for the Coastal Command which cannot be topped). Suits you well, but you’re absolutely right: sizing up would practically drown you!
Very beautiful colours on the leather and shearling too!

Sorry to hear about your health issues. COVID is a bummer.

matei

One Too Many
ELC makes some really nice products. I personally like the fleece on the Aero jackets more. ELC does use some sort of coating, I can't recall the name, on some (all?) of their sheepskin jackets which is a bit harder than the Aero ones.
Looks fantastic! I just received my Aero Irvin in the same hide today, though mine is Coastal Command.

F52

New in Town
Beautiful jacket! I ordered the same BOB size 44. Like you, I hesitated to take it in size 46, but I know that Aero is large. What is your weight and height?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beautiful jacket! I ordered the same BOB size 44. Like you, I hesitated to take it in size 46, but I know that Aero is large. What is your weight and height?

I don't think the Aero Irvins run large in any sense. The pit to pit is about what you'd generally expect in a leather jacket but crucially you have to account for the length of the fleece, so upsizing is often the right call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner