Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Book; Anyone read it?

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Today I came across an announcement of this new book on the history of men's fashion:
The Cut of His Coat: Men, Dress, and Consumer Culture in Britain, 1860-1914 (Paperback)
by Brent Shannon

It looks interesting. Here is the cover:
0821417037.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39355497_.jpg

Here is a description of the book:
"The English middle class in the late nineteenth century enjoyed an increase in the availability and variety of material goods. With that, the visual markers of class membership and manly behavior underwent a radical change. In The Cut of His Coat: Men, Dress, and Consumer Culture in Britain, 1860 –1914, Brent Shannon examines familiar novels by authors such as George Eliot, Anthony Trollope, Thomas Hughes, and H. G. Wells, as well as previously unexamined etiquette manuals, period advertisements, and fashion monthlies, to trace how new ideologies emerged as mass-produced clothes, sartorial markers, and consumer culture began to change. While Victorian literature traditionally portrayed women as having sole control of class representations through dress and manners, Shannon argues that middle-class men participated vigorously in fashion. Public displays of their newly acquired mannerisms, hairstyles, clothing, and consumer goods redefined masculinity and class status for the Victorian era and beyond. The Cut of His Coat probes the Victorian disavowal of men’s interest in fashion and shopping to recover men’s significant role in the representation of class through self-presentation and consumer practices. "

Has anyone read this book, or are you familiar with the author?

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I recently had the pleasure of a brief email exchange with the author, Brent Shannon, and invitied him to join our community. Hopefully, he'll soon be discussing his interest in men's fashion with us first-hand! :)

Brent1813

New in Town
"The Cut of His Coat"

Greetings -- My name is Brent Shannon, and I'm the author of "The Cut of His Coat." The reference to my book on "The Fedora Lounge" was brought to my attention by "Johnnysan."

Though my book and research focus primarily on men's fashion in Britain between 1860 and 1914, rather than the 1930s and 1940s, there are definitely some direct and indirect connections between the two eras: many of the dominant styles and articles that characterized men's dress in the '30s and '40s find their origins in the Victorian Age.

Therefore, I wanted to introduce myself, say thank you for the mention, and offer to field any questions if there is an interest.

Regards,
Brent Shannon

Will

One of the Regulars
I finished the book last week and it's a useful addition to the body of work. I learned about the growth of polite dressing in the British middle class as clothing became more affordable. The twin drivers were rapid income growth and an explosion in RTW offerings.

GOK

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge Brent :D I shall definitely keep an eye out for your book, especially since it appears to focus on an era in men's fashion that I am particularly interested in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy