Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Dress!

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Because I don't know what the rules are about this, I apologize in advance if this post is offensive, and I will remove it at once if people object to it -- I also apologize if I inadvertently snatched this dress out from someone else's nose! Is there some way for everyone to post their ebay handles so we're not in bidding wars unknowingly with our friends?

Anyway, that said, a very generous friend has purchased this wild little dress for me for Christmas: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1940s-F...ryZ48867QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on accessorizing it -- I've never had anything from the 40s before, so I'm really excited about this dress! Gloves, hat, shoes? Stocking color? I hope it suits me and that the damaged parts are easy to repair...

~ Queenie

colleency

One of the Regulars
Wow! How fun. I would make sure to go with something very simple for the accessories, because the dress is so bright and busy. Maybe a brown hat, shoes and gloves?

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Brown would be easier to find, definitely. I kind of want a red hat, shoes, and gloves, but you're right -- maybe too much ;)

Would tan stockings work?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Great dress! Excellent price, too! I second the brown, but go for the red if you're feeling daring! They would have done it ;)

Flesh colored seam stockings would be great!

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
Brown was such a great fashion color in the 40s, and as you said, it's easy to find. Some of the best things in my collection are brown. And it's really interesting about how there were so many different shades of it. Today, brown is treated as just a neutral, but it was very important fashionwise in the 30s and 40s.

Great dress!

Lizzie

MissQueenie

Practically Family
It came!

Okay, so apparently I've been a good girl and the ebay elves made Christmas come early (and just before I was about to skip town) -- my new dress came today!

It fits like a glorious dream, and the colors are more muted than I first anticipated, but I like them. No red in the dress, it's actually a deep orange, which is still just fine with me. Dying to get a great hat and shoes to go with it, though. Anyway, Vanessa, Lauren -- THANK YOU for convincing me to give ebay a shot. This dress is glorious. I have a few very clean tears to sew up, and I have to figure out how to get the musty smell out, but it's absolutely darling. :D

Okay, seriously. I have to stop sashaying about the house making sultry faces in every reflective surface -- my neighbors already think I'm deranged as it is!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
There's no going back! Muahahaha!

You sound like us this weekend. "You're gorgeous" "no, you're gorgeous" "I look hot."

Isn't it fun to feel pretty? You want to jump around the house singing "I feel pretty"

Never underestimate the power of a good vintage dress.

ChorusGirl

Familiar Face
MissQueenie said:
Anyway, Vanessa, Lauren -- THANK YOU for convincing me to give ebay a shot. QUOTE]

Heehee Queenie! You've crossed over to the DARK side! Welcome! Just won me some new dancin' shoes the other day...

Addi :)

P.S. Never stop sashaying!

P.P.S. Pretty dress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner