Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New DVD's

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I got five new DVD's today....some funny and some very serious.

I got the "Passion of the Christ"....saw it in theater..very powerful.. Now I have it on DVD..don't know how much I can watch.

I got Galxyquest...very funny. Reminds me of some folks on another forum;)

Vintage:

They had "TOUCH OF EVIL" which stars Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh, and Orson Wells. The opening shot was the longest uncut continual action scene in a movie. This is a great film noir classic.

They also had "THIS GUN FOR HIRE" with Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake. Need I say more?

I was also suprised to see many more classics ("GUN CRAZY") out on DVD. I didn't buy this one as I have it as a taped copy from AMC channel.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My collection

I have almost ALL the Film noir on Vhs or Dvd......

What do you need?

Most of the avilable Bogie..Cagney, EG Robinson.....anything that won an Oscar.

About 400 movies in my collection.

I would be in pain to chronical them all

havershaw

Practically Family
Ren - you would do well to start with that new Film Noir box set that just came out. It's got:

Out of the Past
The Set-up
The Asphalt Jungle
Gun Crazy
Murder, My Sweet

Those are some of the best you can buy. I would tell anyone to start there. It's got almost every facet of the genre in there. I'll link to an Amazon page:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_2/102-0705318-8672920?v=glance&s=dvd

This Gun For Hire is great, too, and there are three more that came out in that set, which are The Big Clock, Criss-Cross, and Black Angel.

I actually had a big DVD weekend too, as I had just purchased a new widescreen TV which was clear enough that I could see the 'Royal Stetson' script in the inside of Bogie's hat in the Big Sleep that I couldn't believe it wasn't visible on my old TV (my wife read it from across the room, it was so clear!).

I picked up The Desperate Hours, My Man Godfrey, He Walks By Night, Dead Reckoning, the Cary Grant box set, and a few more cheapies like The Kennel Murder Case and Nothing's Sacred. I also managed to grab It Happened One Night and Sullivan's Travels (hey, it was my birthday, and I got a BIG gift certificate).

I just bought The Big Combo, too, though I haven't watched it yet.

Ren, there are a whole bunch of cheapo DVDs which they sell for around $5-$7 that are actually pretty great. I think DOA is one of the best, and there are others like T-Men, Detour, Impact, and Raw Deal which are all availble as cheapies, as well as The Hitchhiker (only film noir to my knowledge directed by a woman - Ida Lupino). There are a bunch of double feature DVDs, though, which would probably give you the most bang for your buck. If you search 'film noir' on Amazon, you'll see most of the double/triple features and can save yourself some dough by NOT buying every title individually like I did.

Oh, there's a 10-film noir box set that sells for around $15. A bunch of cheapies, but there are two or three in there that I couldn't find individually, so I'll probably have to get it.

And then there's this site:
www.noirfilm.com
where you can get pretty much any film noir ever made, no matter how unnoticed it might be. I plan to pick up a Blue Dahlia DVD soon (Veronica Lake and I are old pals).

Andy, do you know anything about the Bulldog Drummond series? Is it any good? I keep seeing those advertised on ebay for super cheap and I keep thinking about buying them.

Oh, I'd also recommend:
Kiss Me Deadly
Double Indemnity (maybe my all-time favorite)
The Postman Always Rings Twice

Kiss Me Deadly is shot in a very modern way. I couldn't believe it was made in the early 50s.

Hope you made it through my small novel on noir. (sorry for the length.)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Now a word from our sponsor....

The management of The Fedora Lounge would like to recommend that you stop by The Golden Era store for your DVD needs. The product still comes from Amazon at the same price, but the commision helps pay for this place and keeps the doors open.

Thank you for your time.

We now return you to your regular scheduled program.

FYI:

The store was created a couple of months ago and there has been only one sale that wasn't mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails