Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new H.P. Lovecraft movie in development

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
from filmjunk.com; imdb gives it a 2011 release

Universal has picked up the film rights for The Strange Adventures of H.P. Lovecraft, a comic that imagines what would happen if horror author H.P. Lovecraft inadvertently unleashed his creations upon an unsuspecting world. Rumour has it that they hope to add Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos to their legendary line-up of classic monsters. The most surprising aspect of this story is that Ron Howard is being considered for the director’s chair.

Movies based on the famous author’s works are so prevalent that there exists an annual H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival, however with few exceptions the major studios have shied away from his stories. It was assumed that the next major attempt at big-screen Lovecraftian horror would be At the Mountains of Madness by Guillermo Del Toro, but with so many other commitments Ron Howard may just get there first. Is first-time horror director Ron Howard capable of filming the unimaginable, or will Lovecraft once again be banalised and vulgarised?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Ron Howard would be a bad choice for Lovecraft. I'd much rather see it done along the lines of Pan's Labyrinth. The books themselves are far too difficult to visualize on film ... adding a traditional hollywood director would be the death knell before its even out of production.

I've only ever seen one Lovecraft story filmed in an enjoyable manner. Can't for the life of me remember what the title was. It came out recently (in the last couple of years), filmed in b&w with almost no dialogue ... more like a student's art film. Really captured the feel better than the bigger productions have.

Story

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy