Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Here-Hello Everyone

classiccraig

New in Town
Hi gang,
My name is Craig and just wanted to say hi to everyone here. I just recently found this site and have been browsing the Discussions for about a week now, and getting some great info and tips as well! I think it's great that there is a Community of folks here that appreciate the wonderful and classy fashions of the past, and of course my personal favorite, the late 30's-early 50's. A bit about me....... I live in NJ(though, probably only for another 2 years, then I move hopefully!),lived out in the Los Angeles area for a year and still have lots of friends in that area, I go visit once a year usually. I work in Information technology(though sick of it actually, my real love is History and also English, so I may change careers!), I'm single, and also have been a musician since I was a kid. Played in a few bands, one from the early 90's through the present, we had a CD out, were signed to a subsidiary of Warner Bros records back then, and were opening for national acts and getting radio airplay. Things almost fell into in place, but we never quite got over that hurdle and that's life, music business is a rough business. :) Anyways, we still play now, only covers mostly these days, but it's still fun, we're locally popular in the tri-state area still, and it's good to have that extra money these days. We've performed with many musical celebrities over the years, so it's been fun no matter what.
My dad is the one who got me into the classic movies, and indirectly, the classic men's fashions. He was in the Navy from 43'-45' until he got hurt, and was based in San Diego. He would hitchhike to Hollywood when on leave, and go to all the cool sites and dance halls, clubs, and of course went to the Hollywood Canteen numerous times. There he met Bette Davis, John Garfield, Alexis Smith, and even got to dance with Barbara Stanwyck one night! He met Veronica Lake at Paramount Studios one day, when they gave the sailors a tour of the studios. When I was younger, he told me about all these old Hollywood stars, and so began my love of classic movies, etc..... he showed me pics of these actors and actresses from back then, and to this day I feel they dressed so much classier, and the women in my opinion were much more beautiful and sexy! :) He got me into the Noirs also, telling me about some of the B movies too, and the actresses like Marie Windsor, Audrey Totter and others, and the Noirs are to this day most of my favorite pictures. His words to me about Lizabeth Scott were" oh yes, beautiful blond hair, classic looks, made some real good pictures, but that voice, wait until you hear her voice!" The first movie I watched with her I understood as soon as I heard her speak! Lizabeth, by the way, is 87 and as far as I know, in good health and spirits. I saw her 2 years ago at an event and she looked pretty good for her age and was dressed classy, as always. If you send her a birthday card and/ or fanmail with a pic, she still signs them personally for you. :)

My dad passed away 2 years ago, but left a great legacy with me for sure, and I am so very grateful. Like many here, Bogart is one of my faves, and The Big Sleep is my all-time favorite movie. I've been interested in getting some vintage style trench coats and fedoras that reflect his style, and have read a bunch of threads here from all of you smart and friendly Ladies and Gents that has helped me quite a lot. There is so much info and tips here that has really helped me I'm just starting out, so when I have a few coats and some Fedoras to wear, I'll post some pics! Well, sorry for blabbing on and on( I like to write lol), but glad to be here. Now if only I could find a nice girl who shares my interest in the old movies and fashions! :)

classiccraig

New in Town
Hi Carlisle,

The band is called The Characters, it has a long history, and I've been a part of it from late 93' until 2000, then again from 2001 off and on to the present. The band plays almost every weekend, and these days, I can't do that anymore, so for the past few years I rotate gigs with the old original bass player Larry, and sometimes another former member. As of last month, I'm playing quite a bit more with them again now. We have a website with the history of the group, current upcoming gig dates, etc.... and pics of us through the years playing with various celebs and regular gigs. We put on a good show, it gets wacky and crazy sometimes lol. We play some lounges, clubs and do private parties all in the tri-state area here.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Hey Craig welcome aboard!

In what part of NJ do you reside? We have a semi-active group that meets in Philly, we'd love to have some more folks in attendance!

classiccraig

New in Town
Hi, thx for the welcome! I'm way up in Union County, right off the Parkway. 2 of the guys in the band live more towards South Jersey. Tell me more about the group, maybe I can come down sometime. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner