Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Jennifer Connelly Film

Feraud

Bartender
My wife wants to see this movie. If we get a chance this weekend I will post a review.
Edit: Dark Water opens July 8th!

From what I read Dark Water is the latest Hollywood film inspired by or remade from a Japanese horror/thriller flick. Dark water was written by Koji Suzuki, author of the The Ring stories. I am not as impressed with the American remakes of Asian films. Even those films that are remade and directed by the original director(for ex. Ju-on a.k.a. The Grudge w/Sarah Michelle Gellar) lose their original flavor.

Dark Water seems very reminiscent of Asian style horror films like Ringu, Jian gui or Ju-on. These films are Asian originals that were remade or are in the process of being remade.

Asian horror films(thrillers as opposed to gore) have a particular "style" to them that differentiates them from Western horror flicks. There is an emphasis on the creepy settings and spiritual unrest. It is a refreshing change from the serious lack of Western thrillers available. There are graphic Japanese films out there(Ichi the killer) but I am talking about thrillers(minus the gore!).

If you are interested in thriller films that go beyond the usual Hollywood formula of 'half naked, sexually active teens, trapped in a situation that is killing them one by one' then check out Foreign/Japanese horror films. For a good Friday night rental thriller rental I recommend, Jian gui.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Thumbs up Feraud!

I've seen these on the shelves, but never checked them out. I've also probably seen a trailer or two. Thought the Dark Waters trailer looked familiar.

Brody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo