Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"New styled" Fedoras

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
ebay, ebay, ebay.

Good vintage hats can be had for much less than the price of a new hat. I've been pretty selective in my eBay purchases, but the most expensive hat I got off the 'bay was a vintage 1950's Stetson that was $75 shipping included, about half the price of a new, modern Stetson.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Also, know your SIZE. A hat that is markedly too big or too small will always look fancy dress.

I took knowing one's size as being a given, so I didn't bother adding it onto the list! But yes, knowing your size (in a variety of sizing scales) is important.

Not all hats are sized the same way. Some go by traditional sizes, some go by centimeters, some go by the good old fashioned S/M/L etc.

For example, my hat-size is a Medium. But it's also a 7, and a 58cm.

So knowing exactly what your hat-size is, is important.

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
Yes I will be certain to go and have my size checked and as I said before I might actually need a size thats just over what I would really want due to not wishing to dislodge and potentially break/damage my sound processor(Which is pretty much the only think keeping me connected to the wonderful world of sound)

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Jeff I wear a couple of new style Fedora's to work as the fit better in my locker than my vintage Fedora's. I pick them up at Dillards I don't think they have stores up east. Their Daniel Cremieux hats are very well made for that type of Hat.

Cremieux-TwoTone-Weave-Fedora
They have tons more color options in the store. I walk in the mall and pass the men's section and right now their are a lot of spring hats out.
Always good to have options. With the short brim of this style I tilt my hat a lot more than I do with my 30's Mallory's.

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge!

Farmer D out of Atlanta looks pretty cool in his.
FarmerD_DSC_0087.jpg

ToA-farmer-d-rooster.jpg

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I echo the advice offered thus far, and would like to add that you are quite an articulate communicator.

Welcome, and be sure to post photos soon. :)

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
Welcome to the Lounge!

Farmer D out of Atlanta looks pretty cool in his.

Last edited by RBH; Yesterday at 08:29 PM.
Yes I must say he pulls off the look quite well! And thanks Randooch I'll post photos once I register for a photo sharing site and figure out how to share them on here

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
UPDATE!
My parents have agreed to get me a fur felt fedora for my birthday which is a little more than a month away. I live in Massachusetts which is not exactly a haven for hat stores so can anyone point out where we might go to get one? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

tealseal

A-List Customer
UPDATE!
My parents have agreed to get me a fur felt fedora for my birthday which is a little more than a month away. I live in Massachusetts which is not exactly a haven for hat stores so can anyone point out where we might go to get one? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

That is awesome news! Depends on where in MA you are, but if you happen to be in the Boston area, Salmagundi in Jamaica Plain is well worth checking out. They are the only full-service hat shop that I know of in the area, and are staffed by very knowledgable folks.
I'm sure I can speak for all of us when I say that we are excited to see what you decide on!

ONP

New in Town
I'm in a similar situation as the OP was at the beginning of this thread, I have 2 cheap fedoras, I found that suit me well, both with short-brims. One from Walmart, and one from Lids (by Billabong, of all companies). I also have an actual fedora with a slightly longer brim (not as long as is average on this forum) that was the hat my dad wore when he came to Canada. He gave it to me last year on my 18th birthday after I showed interest in such items. I haven't really posted much, though I love the attitude and atmosphere this forum gives off, and this thread is a prime example.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
You have to start somewhere an if it is with a Walmart hat so be it. At least you can learn by reading posts here what a good hat looks like Ann the style of fedora you like. Also as a young person your head may still be your adult size. I have a few hats that are tight now that I wore 40 years ago. Hat wearing is a journey you are on the right path

DNO

One Too Many
I'm in a similar situation as the OP was at the beginning of this thread, I have 2 cheap fedoras, I found that suit me well, both with short-brims. One from Walmart, and one from Lids (by Billabong, of all companies). I also have an actual fedora with a slightly longer brim (not as long as is average on this forum) that was the hat my dad wore when he came to Canada. He gave it to me last year on my 18th birthday after I showed interest in such items. I haven't really posted much, though I love the attitude and atmosphere this forum gives off, and this thread is a prime example.

Welcome to the lounge ONP...always nice to see another Canuck on here. Where are you in Ontario?

Thrift stores have been mentioned as a source for hats. Absolutely true but don't pass up contents sales and church rummage sales. Last fall I found a nice vintage Stetson and a Borsalino at rummage sales. The Stetson was free (needed a thorough reblock and cleaning) and the Borsalino was $3. Good hunting!

wandering-trader

New in Town
I found a stetson harris tweed flat cap at goodwill for $2, as well as a lumpy 15 wpi panama I reshaped for casual wear for $5 including adding a ribbon.

Apparently my region (Keeweenaw) doesn't have a large density of good hats from the garage saling i've done this past summer.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi ONP.

It is a condition of membership of this forum that every member should submit, after their successful application for membership, a photograph of at least one of their hats, or a photograph of themselves wearing same.

...Sooooooo...where's your hat?

Otateral

Familiar Face
Weird thing I noticed with the modern fedoras. I was wearing those at first, and the size that fit me best was size S/M. This made things difficult when making a transition to fur felt fedoras, because size small or medium is way too small for me. My ideal size is a 7 1/4 which according to charts I've seen is a Large. Not sure how that worked out.

Dronak

Familiar Face
Otateral, it could just be a difference in the way sizes are determined by the manufacturers or over time, if you're looking at newer and older hats. The two hats I bought recently are S/M and M/L, but both seem to fit OK. For other clothes, I sometimes have to buy slightly different sizes, depending on how things are cut. I guess this is why it's best to actually try on things before you buy them, to make sure they fit well.

As for the original topic, I'm new here too and no expert on hats, but I don't think there's really anything wrong with buying a modern hat if it's what you like, looks good on you, and fits your budget. I only have a few hats, and they're all modern with brims on the short side. I don't have any vintage ones or ones with noticeably larger brims. For me right now, I think these are fine. I like the look they give to my outfits, and I didn't have to spend a lot of money to get them, which is good for when you're new and not sure exactly where you want to go. I would like to get a fur felt one sooner or later, but for now, I'm OK with the hats I have. As others said, enjoy wearing what you've got. :)

ONP

New in Town
No problem, Shangas
This is my first hat, from Walmart
297426_10150347466345170_583140169_10425237_3701752_n.jpg

And this is the hat my dad gave me, though my head is a bit too large for it.
296976_10150347467820170_583140169_10425265_1454378_n.jpg

154389_10150096640220170_583140169_8000583_4282880_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace