Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie question re: spectators

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Hey, folks,

This is probably a dumb newbie question, but here goes...

I'm just finding out about vintage-style clothing, don't really have any yet, but I'm intrigued. I dig the look of spectators, and would love to have a pair that I could wear occasionally to the office (where my usual attire is dress slacks, J&M or some similar dress shoes, custom shirts and nice ties, but not suits or jackets). Occasional evenings call for something dressier, and several times a year something formal. It seems that a nice pair of these might be a fun, elegant way to get started without suddenly appearing at work in completely "unusual" attire...

Any help? I'm no fashion expert, but I don't mind trying something different...and I do love the look of those Allen Edmonds! :)

Thanks in advance...and looking forward to learning about all of this from you!

Flying Scotsman

lindylady

A-List Customer
Have you tried doing a search for "spectators" on Zappos.com? Their search engine is pretty good. You'll get hits from different stores. Try Nordstrom.com, too.

Many men go for Stacy Adams spectators. They run about 50-150 bucks a pair. Check out their website.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Thanks!

lindylady said:
Oh, and welcome to the Lounge! :)

I'm enjoying reading up on all the great threads...learning a lot!

And thanks for the info on Stacy Adams...

I just reread my post, and I sorta forgot the most important point...I meant to add..."what can I wear these with?"

The brown on white ones...no problem...I can figure out lots of things that go with those (khakis, medium brown wool slacks, etc.)...but what about the black on white ones? I know I'm wrong, but in my head I have this image of those being *more* formal than black dress shoes...I don't know why! :)

Anyway, just curious...what would work with those babies for office attire such as I described? Suggestions?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Hello Scotsman,

Welcome to the party, Pal.

No question is ever dumb, so ask away. Many answers are in our archives as well.

I agree with you that black and white specs seems to be a bit more formal. I call them harlequins by the way, but I made that up. I would wear them with gray, black (of course), and even, gasp, jeans (if you're wearing jeans in that Italian style: with a nice dress shirt and nice shoes). They would look awesome with a dark gray suit.

If you are really a bon vivant, wear them with your tuxedo, especially if it is summer and you can wear a white dinner jacket.

in "Cousins" Ted Dansen's "Larry" character wears a pair of brown and mesh specs with a tuxedo, but he was a dance instructor.

Be a personality and make the style your own. :)

Black and white spectators? White or ivory trousers is where i'd go with those.

I wear my ivory coloured oxford bags in spring with a pair of black leather and white mesh spectators. it works really well. And with a dark grey pinstripe DB jacket, it just looks excellent. I have a pic around here somewhere.

These spectators:

MeshSpec2.jpg

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR