Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PBS Masterpiece theater Mr Selfridge

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am not sure what all the critical fuss is about regarding 'Mr. Selfridge'. I find it fascinating....I realize going in, it is NOT a documentray - it is a drama about the interactions of people of various class strata inside the first high end department store in London. It is just a glimpse of what it may have been like in such a dynamic and new environment in what was essentially still a very Victorian world. It is just a little period piece based on the history of Selfridge's - how much written history could there actually be regarding the social aspects of the people in that store? Thus it requires dramatic fictional aspects interwoven with what is know about Selfridge, his family, his staff and his enterprise. Like I said, I find it a fascinating glimpse into what may have been the kinds of things that took place behind the scenes in that kind of turn-of-the century 'Box Store'. Lighten up people and enjoy the fantasy - it's a story!... it just happens to be one you can visit on Oxford Street and dream about what must have been once upon a time.

-dixon cannon

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I must admit that the Beeb and ITV have knocked out some cracking tv over the years, there is some good stuff coming from over there in the USA but as a Brit the one thing I and people in general don't like is the advertising breaks...over here we used to get ad breaks every 15 miutes so generally if the show started on the hour we'd get ads at a quater past, half past and a quarter too but since the advent of satelitte tv they are getting more and more frequent...probably why us Brits love good old BBC for all its ills.

As well you should love the BBC. I use my TiVO's 30 sec jump button to by pass ad's. My wife hates to watch live TV after getting use to jumping pass the Ad's.:)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think much of the criticism revolves around a mutual loathing of Jeremy Piven, lol.

Actually, I think that's my main problem with the show. I like all the supporting characters, and I think they did a great job, but I just can't get behind Harry himself. I think it's the actor. Piven hits me as an arrogant person portraying a character; not a person portraying an arrogant character. It seems like some of his basic arrogance just seems to seep through into the character. Maybe it's just me.

It probably also doesn't help that I find his character totally unsympathetic. Harry's a womanizer and a cheat, and we're supposed to find him sympathetic or like him because his father left his family and he has brilliant ideas? No thank you.

I think much of the criticism revolves around a mutual loathing of Jeremy Piven, lol.

How spot on was the characterization of him in the satire play in the last episode? He over plays the role. I watched the behind the scenes (or whatever they called it) after the last episode and Piven came across as thoughtful. He explained that he views his role as Mr Selfridge as somebody who can overcome any hurdle or challenge - and bring everyone with him - by dint of will, energy and optimism. Unfortunately, his characterization of this type of person seems forced and fake. He needs to underplay play it, tone it down, show a steely confidence (not bombastic buffoonery). In his quieter scenes and in the interview I saw, he shows that he can project a strong confidence, it's just that when he ramps it up, it becomes silly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou