Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phila. museum showcases minorities in WWII

Story

I'll Lock Up
Researchers at the Germantown Historical Society identified the museum's ballroom as Parker Hall.

The question stunned Althea Hankins, a Germantown family physician on a flight from California to Philadelphia.

"You're a Negro, aren't you?" asked an older white man.

Taken aback by the outdated term, Hankins said, she replied, "Yes, I guess so."

Hankins said the stranger on that 1999 trip then told her that he collected memorabilia, and showed her an old pamphlet bearing the headline "Negro soldiers party - 5801 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania."

"I told him, 'That's impossible. My practice is located there,' " Hankins said.

But, of course, she was curious. So later that year, she had a wall removed that blocked the third floor of the building at Germantown Avenue and Price Street.

She found a vintage ballroom with a wooden floor, hidden behind that partition for many years and clearly large enough to have hosted the soldiers' party.

"I couldn't believe it. I decided that we had an opportunity here to do something totally different," Hankins said.

What she did was launch the Aces Museum, a 3,000- square-foot facility spread over the second and third floors above her community medical practice. The museum - admission is free - tells the stories of black servicemen in World World II through photographs, military medals, and memorabilia that include historical uniforms and other artifacts.

Complete article at
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_region/20080404_Phila__museum_showcases_minorities_in_WWII.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara