Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Piece of Cake"

STHill

One of the Regulars
I just saw the post from Schwammy talking about Alistaire Cooke and "Masterpiece Theatre." It reminded of an MT presentation I saw about 10 years ago called "Piece of Cake."

It was a several week long mini-series about the "false war" just before the Battle of Britain. The period when Britain was on high alert but nothing much was really happening.

It's a very well done ensemble piece about young RAF pilots battling boredom and fear, getting ready for the coming hostilities. Lots of good aerial action shots of Spitfires and Hurricanes, as I recall.

My memory of it might be better than it actually was, but I'm going to see if it's available on DVD. Anybody else see it?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes

I have the paperback book "A piece of cake".. It is about the Spitfire pilots in the beginning of the war. Saw the movie, but don't have it.

If I recall , it was very good.

Baggers

Practically Family
It was made in the 1980s and has it's small problems detail wise, but Tony's correct, anytime you can see a flight of real Spitfires on a takeoff roll across a grass field, it's good.

Joe Bob says check it out! :D

Cheers!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
One particular scene is most memorable. The director mounted a camera
inside the cockpit so the climb of a Spitfire can be seen from the pilot's
birdseye perspective.

'Mogie's' under-the-bridge stunt is fantastic.

And the Squadron Leader was the typical jackass. Pity the ba***rd died
since he stole the show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo