Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polishing shoes with lighter color cream?

moykky

New in Town
Hello,

I've been reading this forum for quite some time and now I'm in need your help in some issue.

I have these boots:
1.jpg

I've been using Kiwi neutral polish with them but they get little bit darker in color which I don't like. I've read somewhere (or dreamed?) that you can use a slightly lighter colored polish if you like, so over time your shoes will get lighter in color not darker. Also it would give them a two-tone appearance over time.

What do you think?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
First order of business: Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Next: Very cool boots - where did you find them? Wing tip boots - neat.

Finally: Kiwi Neutral darkens leather slightly over time. I have heard of no polishing product that will cause any leather to get lighter - anyone have different experience?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
no, lighter polish should make no difference. in effect it will do the same as clear polish.....leave it looking the same (i'm surprised you say they go darker).

i suppose we're different.....if i had a shoe that colour i'd use a slightly darker polish to get a patina going and give the leather an antique look.

moykky

New in Town
Thanks for answering! So I guess I will stick with that neutral polish then, might even try the darker one.

I bought the shoes from Pediwear. They are Tricker's Malton brogue country boots.

Teacher

Familiar Face
herringbonekid said:
no, lighter polish should make no difference. in effect it will do the same as clear polish.....leave it looking the same (i'm surprised you say they go darker).

Strangely enough, neutral cream will in fact darken light leathers, while a lighter cream will no. I have no idea why this is, but Meltonian itself has acknowledged this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic